Conservation area squirrel run.

Hairyloon

You have a pest problem, not a tree problem. Pruning is displacement at best.

...as the tree cannot, in legal terms, be deemed to be casuing a nusiance to its own property (I thnk!)

True! And the hopes of hundreds of righteous old boys and the bow saws come crashing down...

However, the The Town and Country Planning (Trees) Regulations 1999 gives an exemption for: "5© the pruning, in accordance with good horticultural practice, of any tree cultivated for the production of fruit;"

It is I believe, some sort of damson.

Granted, up to now it has not been cultivated for fruit, but that is no reason not to start. ;)

I'd suggest negotiation as your first move. Anything else is likely to get complicated! Certainly, if you were prosecuted for unauthorised works, the magistrate is unlikely to agree with your flexible interpretation of that exemption!

if they are in the bedroom then set a live catch trap ,catch squirrel then tell them it will be released in another area,then once away from the area you can kill it humanely.

Releasing greys is illegal so best not tell your clients that, even if it is a porky. It might get round!!!!!!!!!

Why are you looking for an exemption?

Why do you think you need one? Is it to get the job done quickly?

Simply submit a 211 for the desired works describing the problem. The TO then has 2 options, either allow the described works or make a TPO. If they make a TPO you make an application under the TPO for the same works, they decline, you appeal, the inspector laughs himself silly and allows the works.

No reasonable TO would make an order to prevent a reasonable degree of pruning.

yes forgot that under the wildlife and countryside act it is illegal to release non native species in the U K but you see it on the tv all the time when so called experts release muntjac that have been caught in railings in a different area last sumer i shot a fox with three legs and no canines that a do gooder had taken to the vets then released in the middle of a pheasant shoot

I have been approached by a lady who has squirrels nesting in her son's bedroom.It seems they are getting in through the eaves via a tree branch.

The suggested remedy is to remove the branch, but the tree is in a conservation area.

So, the question is: does the indirect hazard of disease from the squirrels make the tree dangerous enough to remove the branch without awaiting permission?

what ever her sons smoking i want:lol:

I have been approached by a lady who has squirrels nesting in her son's bedroom.

It seems they are getting in through the eaves via a tree branch.

The suggested remedy is to remove the branch, but the tree is in a conservation area.

So, the question is: does the indirect hazard of disease from the squirrels make the tree dangerous enough to remove the branch without awaiting permission?

Must be after his nuts :biggrin: