Climbing VS Access platform

ms660isthebest

Excellent bit of info and thankls for that.:thumbup1:

I thought cost wasnt a factor, it would factor out a MEWP in probably 99.999999% of all my work.

A MEWP is I think a great piece of kit as mentioned by others just like a crane, ie in the right circumstances.

I have only used a MEWP on a handful of occasions in my work (loads of times when subbing to others) the main reason being the job spec.

I have costed in a MEWP when ime I think the work couldnt be carried out by the standard rope,harness day to day tree climbing op.

The main reason for not using a MEWP is cost to me,I would rather the job took longer and more of the money went into my business than a hire company.

Obviously this would change if I had more work than I could handle and speed of job completion would increase.

Why pay someone £500 for the hire of a crane/mewp then have your men twiddling their thumbs and not earning the next day.

I dont see the argument that mewps are more dangerous if by definition tree work isnt dangerous.

Hi Mesterh, hope you're well.

IN H&S the 'reasonable practciable' phrase is a 'cost v benfit' analysis approach, hence the scenario I described above.

Bottom line provided you use platforms on dangerous trees, deemed unsafe to climb, and/or trees where there aren't suitable, and strong, anchors (few and far between perhaps) then you're probably doing the minimum to comply in your actions.

However what you need to be abale to demnstarte, if challenged (unlikey I know, BUT!) is that you ahve an approcah to work planning the aligns with the W@H Regs., i.e. ground level / MEWP / climb, AND that the reason for not using a MEWP is justified, i.e. 'reasonable practicable' approcah OR becuase it would be more hazardous with increased risk, as is sometimes the case (see th etreework at height document on the AA website I referred to.)

IF, I've understood your last comment, I think many are making a valid point, as above, that MEWPs themselves, whilst addressing to some degree the 'risk of falls from height' (because of the collective protective measures, i.e. ALL who step in the bucket are automatically protected), have inherent risks of their own regardless of the work application....WOT????!!!!, sorry!

Right I'll go now as I've baffled meself...aghhhh!!!!

Cheers, n have a good rest of weekend!

Paul

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful, the less you climb the less you will be able to climb!!

Use it or loose it!!!!!!!

I'm 41, I've been climbing for 17 years and intend to climb for the rest of my days. I do all my climbing, I some times get in extra ground staff, but never climbers.

I am a climber first and foremost, running my business is just a necessary evil that means I get a good wage. If some one offered me a full time climbing job that paid £35K I think I'd take it.

For some, tree work is a business and they will use what ever gets the the job done, for others climbing is what they do and they take real pride in finding a way to get every job done without the need of a MEWP.

its like riding a bike....im sure some people would pay 35k a year if your not intrested in the business side of things

heavy rigging always done from tree

what i meant was the light branches can be anchored to the cage and still held by hand with no shock to cage. but if they slip then they wont fall on the hazards below or you can swing them away to a drop area with similar confidence that they wont fall

Rigging small branches can still be done safely.

All you need to do is attach two small slinges together on the branch, cut inbetween, let the branch stub take the load, then slowly take the weight from the basket whilst watching your over load light, if it comes on you can just release the branch back onto the slings, if not, release the slings and slew to your drop zone.

MEWPs have thier place, I own one and have done everything you can possibly do with a mewp including survive a fall from one.

However I still carry out 95% of jobs without it. Most of the time it is the extra cost of the mewp which dictates whether it is used or not.

Prolific use of a mewp is lazy, but I would much rather disc down a huge stem with a 660 from my basket, than I would off spikes

For certain situations a mewp is better.

I do a lot of work from a tracked mewp, and don't climb so much nowadays, but still do a bit to keep my hand in.

But most of our work at height is still rope and harness.

Either/or? The most efficient way is both at the same time.

Put the climber in the tree with the mewp, he does the inside of the canopy, mewp operator does the outside.

I'm 40 and I will use any piece of equipment in the arsenal to make the job easier. That way I will be able to carry on in tree work for much longer.

I can't weigh up why anyone would want to spin a job out to keep their men busy? :confused1:

Get it done and get the men onto the next job! = more money! :biggrin:

One of the downsides of the ease of availability of mewp's these days, is IMO, there are a lot of people about doing tree jobs they shouldn't be doing with their level of experience and ability! Never mind the right qualifications! :laugh1: