Fungi ID on Veteran please?

Arbgirl

Hi Monkey

Thanks for that :biggrin:

I didnt scratch it, but it was hard and dry and sounded hollow when tapped

It has a massive burr on it about 5 times the size of my backpack! No sign of other fungi but will revisit at a better time of year:thumbup:

I agree there has to be more fungi on it somewhere - I did scratch around underneath especially below the burr but no sign of anything at present.

It looks as if it will be vigorous when in leaf and does look to be retrenching, I agree

I love trees when they get like this - such a brilliant wildlife habitat

If it wasn't so far off the road through a very dark forest I would go back at dusk with my bat detector and have a listen as there are numerous decay pockets and crevices

I came upon a question while wandering today - how many people have ever seen a tree fall over while they have actually been there? I came upon a major beech limb failure (limb was about 30% of the tree (weak union - possibly not helped by the snow earlier this year, and also due to new wind forces being exerted on it due to removal of conifers surrounding it) today on the footpath - it must have happened in the last couple of days and it made me wonder - with all the surveying and recommendations to fell/prune/reduce etc we do to make trees safe - how many people have ever actually seen a tree fall through natural failure?

Edited by Arbgirl

I came upon a question while wandering today - how many people have ever seen a tree fall over while they have actually been there? I came upon a major beech limb failure (limb was about 30% of the tree (weak union - possibly not helped by the snow earlier this year, and also due to new wind forces being exerted on it due to removal of conifers surrounding it) today on the footpath - it must have happened in the last couple of days and it made me wonder - with all the surveying and recommendations to fell/prune/reduce etc we do to make trees safe - how many people have ever actually seen a tree fall through natural failure?

'Natural' as in storm event, then yes.

But only a handfull

I'd imagine it would be a rare event to witness.

Worthy of a seperate thread. hint, hint :biggrin: