Beech pruning advice please

adam4838

Hi All,

I am a new starter after some advice please.

Similar to the thread by Lancstree regarding a Syc, im after some advice regarding pruning a small Beech.

Customer wants general reduction to retain natural shape and try and drop it below the wires. Next door there are 2 larger Beeches which have been severely reduced recently by somebody. Cuts look professional, but they have had a heavy reduction.

Am I getting a bit close to spring to be performing a crown reduction to a Beech? Was thinking 20% absolute max.

The bloke I started with has been going 30 years plus, and he was quite relaxed regarding time of year, but that was just his way.

I would really value some other thoughts.

Cheers in advance,

Adam

IMG00047-20110306-1117.jpg.83548ba6fd65d91de9fed63b2c737a9d.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

but you dont work in the real world sean! this job aint worth more than 150 to most folk, 200 would be pricey and a big firm may want 300, its barely over an hours work, a MEWP is way over the top.

By the time you've set a mewp up you'll be anchored in and done half of it. I reckon £200 about right.

but you dont work in the real world sean! this job aint worth more than 150 to most folk, 200 would be pricey and a big firm may want 300, its barely over an hours work, a MEWP is way over the top.

How do i not work in the real world??? :confused1: I quote plenty of jobs every week and if i saw this I would take our mewp for a 20% red.

I do plenty of jobs for private clients for my firm. (climbing and mewping)....a mewp would take 5 mins to set up.....i said IF there was access to a mewp......and This is a job which would be far easier and quicker with a mewp.....especially on a 20% reduction....which is the percentage bandied about in the initial post.

By the sounds of the original post, to me i wouldnt suggest they owned a mewp. So hire costs would make it unreasonable price wise.

Get you pruning saw and get cutting.

Put the pics up on here so we can see the results.

How do i not work in the real world??? :confused1: I quote plenty of jobs every week and if i saw this I would take our mewp for a 20% red.

I do plenty of jobs for private clients for my firm. (climbing and mewping)....a mewp would take 5 mins to set up.....i said IF there was access to a mewp......and This is a job which would be far easier and quicker with a mewp.....especially on a 20% reduction....which is the percentage bandied about in the initial post.

fair play, if you can mewp this, do 20 percent and get 200-300 quid for it as well as have a satisifed customer then your doing well.:thumbup:

By the sounds of the original post, to me i wouldnt suggest they owned a mewp. So hire costs would make it unreasonable price wise.

Get you pruning saw and get cutting.

Put the pics up on here so we can see the results.

I agree frank....my original post was 'a mewp would be handy':001_smile: