Bug Fung

David Humphries

a little place to corall images around the interaction of the above

From a collection of environmental photos I caught this morning from the Guardian.........

Ants harvesting fungi

Latest news, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk

lets see the relationships you've seen

I always think Dutch Elm Disease is a fascinating P&D which probably fits into this thread. Fungi and Beetle , and also may surprise a few people who just assumed it was just a beetle which killed the tree, where in fact the tree commits suicide. The correlation between pathogen and vector is an interesting one, confined to mostly Ulmus sp, its a complex development in two parts, in short the Elm bark beetle carries the fungus Ophiostoma novo-ulmi on there bodies and infect the tree by boring and laying there eggs , when the eggs develop into pupae they then eat between the bark and emerge out through small shot holes. The fungus then develops in the tree via the xylem vessels which in turn causes the tree to produce phenolic compounds ,as a defense mechanism , which in turn shuts down the vascular system of the tree - in effect the tree commits suicide . The Disease also then spreads through its roots via natural root grafts to infect other Elm trees close by.:thumbup1: good one? sorry no pictures

I always think Dutch Elm Disease is a fascinating P&D which probably fits into this thread. Fungi and Beetle , and also may surprise a few people who just assumed it was just a beetle which killed the tree, where in fact the tree commits suicide. The correlation between pathogen and vector is an interesting one, confined to mostly Ulmus sp, its a complex development in two parts, in short the Elm bark beetle carries the fungus Ophiostoma novo-ulmi on there bodies and infect the tree by boring and laying there eggs , when the eggs develop into pupae they then eat between the bark and emerge out through small shot holes. The fungus then develops in the tree via the xylem vessels which in turn causes the tree to produce phenolic compounds ,as a defense mechanism , which in turn shuts down the vascular system of the tree - in effect the tree commits suicide . The Disease also then spreads through its roots via natural root grafts to infect other Elm trees close by.:thumbup1: good one? sorry no pictures

Interestingly I read recently that the non-GM supporting FC are currently funding a project from Dundee University that is producing GM Elms that may be resistant to DED.

Interestingly I read recently that the non-GM supporting FC are currently funding a project from Dundee University that is producing GM Elms that may be resistant to DED.

Interesting, it is a disease which has been around for a long time with devastating effects on our country side and its a shame that in all that time with all those tree losses, the trees have not been replaced, over the years i must have removed thousands of prominent road side Elm trees, in our village alone its completely destroyed what was once a very picturesque land scape , they keep trying to play with the genetics of the tree and i just wonder if they would have been better to replace the species altogether with some thing more suitable as a road side tree.

In The Netherlands we have quite some experience with non-GEM species and variaties of elms that have proven to be resistent to DED.

In The Netherlands we have quite some experience with non-GEM species and variaties of elms that have proven to be resistent to DED.

I believe here in the UK too, there has & is research in natural DED resistance.

The bit in my post about GM is purely about how our British Forestry Commission states that it has a strong stance against GM research but seemingly is funding it :confused1:

I believe here in the UK too, there has & is research in natural DED resistance.

The bit in my post about GM is purely about how our British Forestry Commission states that it has a strong stance against GM research but seemingly is funding it :confused1:

Yes, funny old business that. do you have any links David?