Fuel & oil consumption.

Justme

am i right in reading u sharpen ur chains every time you fill up ? do other people do this? i keep the saw running allday with out sharping olny sharping when i hit some thing .

on the fuel i think saws not running right .

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am cutting oak and ash get at least 3-4 tanks before i tickle the chain if the woods really clean can get 6 tanks. Cutting sycamore uses a third less fuel. No idea how much I use per meter But I must get 20-30 minutes from a tank on our 039 running .325 chain.

am i right in reading u sharpen ur chains every time you fill up ? do other people do this? i keep the saw running allday with out sharping olny sharping when i hit some thing .

on the fuel i think saws not running right .

I tend to tickle it (one or two passes with the file) every 2nd or 3rd tank when cutting the mainly dry softwood & go over it at the end of the day. If I leave it much longer the chippings start to get more dust in them.

Perhaps I have taken the rakers down to much, but I have used the guide to do it so dont see how I could have.

The saw starts easy hot & cold, runs smooth & evenly at all revs so cant be far out can it?

I am wondering if I am forcing the saw into the wood to much.

On a good note I was speaking with one of my customers today when delivering their last load of the year. They said they would support a 17% price rise which would put me at a higher price than anyone else as they are happy with the wood & my service.

I dont do enough to cover the cost of chopping in this saw & getting a dearer one.

because its a 250! there pretty pants at most things what bar are you running? as someone said if your really worried about fuel get a more powerful saw they are better on fuel quicker cutting etc.

I was talking about people sharpening everytime they fuel up and I just think what a waste of a chain time and monney.

Never heard of a diesel engine chainsaw?

Chainsaws are all about maximizing power to weight ratio.

I don't think you'll find any 4-stroke chainsaws at all, due to the adde weight. Diesel engine would weigh twice as much, so I bet there won't be a diesel chainsaw, ever.

Mind you, Stihl brought out the 4-mix engines for their brush cutters (FS 130/KM 130 - I've got them both). They are 4-stroke but running on fuel/oil mix. Better fuel economy and lower emissions, but higher weight. They may be forced down the 4-stroke road due to future emission regulations.

Edited by morten
spelling

Its got an 18" bar on it.

I am sure I did read some where that the 250 was a little heavy on fuel but cant find it now.

The chain that is on it (original Sthil chain) was put on last year part way through doing last years firewood (but not doing all the cutting as we had a processor in). It has done all my felling, snedding & logging up for 12 months. So its done a lot of work & still has enough life left to still be on the saw this time next year as long as I dont hit any thing in a big way.

They may be forced down the 4-stroke road due to future emission regulations.

Just like the pleasure boater now can only buy 4 stroke outboards.

Cant you make a 2 stroke diesel like the glow plug engines in RC models?