AA arborists working group

jaime bray

Is there any standard for calculating daily HAVS saw usage?

See the 'XXXXX@ (major 'orange and white' chainsaw supplier website, the UK one) then just under the green 'Norseman' sign there's a link button to HAVS.

See below also:

Cheers..

Paul

PS DON'T forget 'health surveillance' whihc is mandtory under the regs and, arguably, the most useful piece of data you'll collect (see HSE webiste at Hand arm vibration - Health surveillance and use the 'initial screening' form at the bottom of the page. THIS is so importnat as it takes account of all the varibales you can't measure.

ChainsawViboutputs.pdf

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stream line ansd simplify the weekly loler and saw maintenence demands, I check my kit daily as matter of course, then I hvae to do the full inspection and record each piece every week, knowing full well my kit is good, my saw maintenence is done all the time on a daily rolling basis, i wouldnt use a saw with a fault, but STILL we (boss enforced) have to stripdown every saw check it all over and make a written record of the service and defects.

it is breeding contempt.

Hama,

Particularly with a small(er) business I believe we take a very pragmatic approach here under the 'ArbAC' scheme.

Essentially the assessment is underatken on an 'outcome' based approach. Applying thsi to machinery & equipment, other than the LOLER 'thorough examinations, the assessor(s) will check stuff on site and provided all is legal, in good working order and safe, they will only expect to see 'periodic' recorded checks. The LOLER weekly written need only be a tick box, with comments oportunity alongside and I will shortly be posting a form on the AA web resource page for this purpose.

The AIS 30 (Agricultural, or I prefer Arboricultural, Information Sheet no.30), copy below, states:

"Arborists should be trained to carry out a daily pre-use check of their lifting equipment and, in the case of items subject to high levels of wear and tear (ie ropes), a written weekly record of inspection should be kept." BUT this is for items of 'high wear and tear' not everything (and it probably assumes it;s in daily use!)

However once the business grows, as is often the case after ArbAC attainment, and more machinery & equipment is purchased a more robust, recorded, system is appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Paul

LOLERais30.pdf

I think this is why the AA needs to do a bit of lobbying towards things like tax breaks on climbing equipment and chainsaw protection, as from "our" point of view it can look slightly like there is only proper interest in areas where money can be generated, not purely a regulatory system which happens to create revenue!

It would show that the AA are not just regulating but also representing!

What I am princiapply interested in is developing a credible industry benchmark for arboricultural contracting which becomes recognised, accepted, and suported by all (both contractors and clients). With the review, and revisions, of the 'ArbAC' scheme I believe we are getting closer to achieving this. What we now need is industry support whihc, in turn, will give critcial mass and a much 'bigger' voice to pursue these importnat issues.

Bottom line, 'violins please', there is only enough income gneerated from the scheme currently to meet the operational cost of running it...just. IF only we could significantly swell numbers, coellctievly, we could do so much more and start to get real results to benefit everyone (and that's in my manifesto for PM....NOT!!!)

Sorry to plug it again, and I know it is as much about the principle as the cost, but 'small' businesses can now become 'ArbAC) (&CHAS) for less than £500 (+VAT) per year over the 4 year term of the assessment cycle, AND your business will improve with it...worth a thought me thinks (BUT tis wot u think that matters!)

Thanks for reading my 'verbose' posting for those who do/have, hope you're not too knackered!

Cheers..

Paul

Hama,

Particularly with a small(er) business I believe we take a very pragmatic approach here under the 'ArbAC' scheme.

Essentially the assessment is underatken on an 'outcome' based approach. Applying thsi to machinery & equipment, other than the LOLER 'thorough examinations, the assessor(s) will check stuff on site and provided all is legal, in good working order and safe, they will only expect to see 'periodic' recorded checks. The LOLER weekly written need only be a tick box, with comments oportunity alongside and I will shortly be posting a form on the AA web resource page for this purpose.

The AIS 30 (Agricultural, or I prefer Arboricultural, Information Sheet no.30), copy below, states:

"Arborists should be trained to carry out a daily pre-use check of their lifting equipment and, in the case of items subject to high levels of wear and tear (ie ropes), a written weekly record of inspection should be kept." BUT this is for items of 'high wear and tear' not everything (and it probably assumes it;s in daily use!)

However once the business grows, as is often the case after ArbAC attainment, and more machinery & equipment is purchased a more robust, recorded, system is appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Hama just out of curiosity is your company loler sheet the same as the AA stuff, Is it better, Believe me, if yours is better they will pay attention to it, Email it over to me ill give it to the group to work on,

We dont get paid for the work, but we are all very keen to increase safety, productivity,awareness etc and enable us to stand proud as an industry, I dont think we'll achieve this over the next 5 years, But generations down the line may 10-15yrs, There was a chap who had twins off here, ive just had little boy, maybe they will reap the rewards, Hey who knows, Got to change something though else we will never stand proud throughout,

I personally believe that if we are to improve the working conditions that we all endure daily, that by "sharing" info,documents,experiences of the workability of the systems used, maybe some out right form of standards will be achieved that we can all adopt to raise our game, i do recorded risk assessment and method statement and it does focus us,

Anyway thanks for your comments lads, much appreciated

slap ma girdle,

Im not sure what Is needed, Im putting the question out there, Whats going on whether domestic,small commercial, even in the councils, We All have different agendas but are we all experiencing the same problems and frustrations, lets highlight these issues get some awareness of them to the AA

From what I could gather the AA are looking to help us to raise our game, If some of you want to join the scheme great, good for you, If you want to run a smart company to the standards of the big boys, but dont join i personally have no opinion on that, Im not fussed who joins what or when, Just trying to raise my game by utilising the work that the AA are doing for the industry and get home to my kids in one piece

Simples!!

The people, As in the public, I agree,

Is it possible that as we stand in gardens talking about what we do, do we know the key pertinent facts about the relevant legislation etc that 'could' sway the way they perceive our company practices, to make them pay that bit extra because they know we are more clued up than that other bloke, And perhaps install a bit more confidence and value for money,

What are the legalities with customers employing non-complient companies should anything go wrong, Can they find themselves being questioned about why they didnt do a more thorough check, they do in other industries,

I know that they dont know whats what, But if we highlight that we reduce the likelihood of accidents by this that and that then maybe they begin to see and learn, and as a result of that appreciate the true nature and value in using your company, The right company!!

What do you think to that way of thinking,

We'll never lose that mentality in society, Why do we go the trade fair? To buy cheaper gear...

AWG is just looking for things to get our teeth into really. The daily grind, With the intention of producing things to enable contractors to operate more effectively, With the topics addressed,

But its a circle, Company managers may want to implement the relevant stuff but do not have the working knowledge of it or the staff dont play ball, So if the employees get chance to air their views then I can give that feed back to AWG, And maybe do something constructive