Is there any reason why I can't use a Whoopie sling as a cambium saver

Arghshh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, you totally misread my post Ben

Yea sorry Steve, I've just read it again. But my point is.. I was that unexperienced person, who read about splicing on a forum, followed the instructions and did a splice, that follows the instructions exactly. Ive tested that first splice by putting 3 people on it. Ive also tried to pull it out gently under low load. If a splice is done correctly following instructions it is no different to a splice done by an experienced person following the same instructions. Maybe I could have explained myself better. So am I competant. Every splice I've done that I have climbed on regularly and has not failed would suggest that I am competant. And before, anyone says anthing to me with regards to complying to any BS CE blah blah blah, It has absolutely no influence on me whatsoever, because for the moment I don't work in the Arb industry.

I climb almost everyday, but I have no qualifications, I'm entirely self taught as a Rec climber. I've never had a near accident etc.. I would say I am a competant climber, but if I were to work in the industry without tickets, Im incompetant. So in the context of the original post, I would use a whoopie sling! Obviously not one that has been used for rigging. But if it does the job why not. SLATE AWAY.:thumbup:

The OP asked a reasonable question here, Is there any reason...? and these reasons have been eloquently put across. The way I see it is that there is no valid reason not to use CE marked equipment as it is out there already. Why take a chance on an "unknown"? Its your body, your life, do you really put so little value on it?

With a factory splice you know its been made under extreme force by machines and have no idea what the inside looks like.

Can i suggest you visit the Yale Factory at sometime and see how they Splice and this will make you re-think your comment. The Splice is Machine Assisted and 99% done by hand.

The OP asked a reasonable question here, Is there any reason...? and these reasons have been eloquently put across. The way I see it is that there is no valid reason not to use CE marked equipment as it is out there already. Why take a chance on an "unknown"? Its your body, your life, do you really put so little value on it?

Nicely put Andy.

Question:

Would people buy and use non-CE marked Climbing Helmets?

Would people buy and use non-CE marked Chainsaw Trousers

Would people buy and use non-CE marked Chainsaws

Would people buy and use non-CE marked Safety Glasses

I think the answer to these question would be NO so why risk your life or safety on non-CE marked Climbing Equipment.

CE is there to protect you and give you recourse should a product fail.

yes its fine as long as the splices are good and the thickness of the tenex you are using is above 11 i think it is i have one in my kit bag and use it heaps it is amazing for stuff like that. the treemagineers do a cambium saver that is designed for things like this it is their standard rope saver i think it is and you can add extra loops to run another saver so to speak it is a bit of setting up to length but will work well a actual cambium saver would just be a pain in the butt if you really want to just choke off a sling on the stems it ouldnt be too bad as long as the sling was the right length it would work.

New Treemagineers Products - Treeworker.co.uk

4th one down will do and the aditional slings are below

sorry just read this and seen the fella has been given heaps of help so no need for mine the other big thing is ive seen some stuff ce'd for utter gush i think ive seen cambium savers ce'd for mountain use and all sorts so a ce is sod all unless specific to what it is doing and if there isnt one and people want to bang on about it then write your own then preach all the good stuff yes and no on ce's but i dont know what the ce's mean they could be for door locks but as long as it is ce'd then its deamed fine its such a grey area.

what you on about risking life, have the pioneers of climbing in all areas not made a risk do we not make calculated risk before climbing every day risk is part of it and managing it and working with it but to totally stamp out free thought in favour of produts that dont work for me will never happen if it aint on the market i make it myself untill someone will and they can do it better than me. no one in them factories climbs for living and they dont hang there life in it.

what you on about risking life, have the pioneers of climbing in all areas not made a risk do we not make calculated risk before climbing every day risk is part of it and managing it and working with it but to totally stamp out free thought in favour of products that dont work for me will never happen if it aint on the market i make it myself untill someone will and they can do it better than me. no one in them factories climbs for living and they dont hang there life in it.

What we have to be aware of when giving our advice on the forum, is the advice can and will be read by less experienced people, they read through the bits they wish to see, skip the bits they cant be bothered with, and potentially could end up with a dangerous set-up.This industry now has a set of safety standards designed to protect workers from dodgy gear and practises. I am not doubting your or others ability to make an item, for your own use, and at your own risk, but someone may copy that with less knowledge and inferior products.

No-one is stamping out free thought here, you are free to design and manufacture any product you wish, and if you wish to market that product then you will have to submit it to the rigorous testing procedure.

One further point, people bemoan the cost of an item that makes their life easier/safer/more comfortable, yet they'll willingly spend the same amount on the latest phone technology/computer games etc, which will never have a potentially drastic effect on the rest of their lives. Strange set of priorities :confused1: