How prevalent are Bats ?

David Humphries

47, as counted by BCI, but the point is there are many and they are quite at risk.:

I was reading about the Mexican Free-Tailed bats at the Carlsbad Caverns in New mexico, and how they used to number in the multi-millions which attracted people to go & watch their emergence, but now the population is believed to be below 800,000.

DDT suposedly being the main culprit, along with white nose syndrome.

Carlsbad-Bat-flight.jpg.57631b4af2631af4372a13da6035c74c.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading about the Mexican Free-Tailed bats at the Carlsbad Caverns in New mexico, and how they used to number in the multi-millions which attracted people to go & watch their emergence, but now the population is believed to be below 800,000.

DDT suposedly being the main culprit, along with white nose syndrome.

Since DDT has been banned in the United States since 1972 I believe this product "supposedly" or otherwise is not responsible for decline in the population of the species for New Mexico.

easy-lift guy

Since DDT has been banned in the United States since 1972 I believe this product "supposedly" or otherwise is not responsible for decline in the population of the species for New Mexico.

easy-lift guy

From my understanding DDT was banned in 1972 as you quite rightly point out, but that was for commercial/public use. It is still used under liscence as a disease vector control agent.

Although, to what quantities I no not.

It can remain in the soil for up to 30 years.

India still manufactures it.

From my understanding DDT was banned in 1972 as you quite rightly point out, but that was for commercial/public use. It is still used under liscence as a disease vector control agent.

THAT I did not know:thumbdown:

and that is digusting.

It can remain in the soil for up to 30 years.

THAT I did not know:thumbdown:

and that is digusting.

And, unfortunately, there are those in the pest control industry who want to bring it back mainstream. :thumbdown:

Nice one K

Out of interest, what makes you sure they're Pips (not saying they're not) just curious as to how people identify different species in their encounters.

There flight style, habitat, size, face and ears, not sure if they are Bandits they do have very dark faces. I did last year sight Lesser/Greater Horseshoes in the lane ( not sure which one as iv only seen the one size) but have not seen any this year. Interest was born some years ago by Treelife, since then its just grown also the local Batt group help identify flight paths around my area. I have also included information regarding Batt sp within my reports when a specific sp / flight path are known to be active or pressant close to trees. clients always take an interest which could then develop. They are great little things:thumbup:

Done a few bat surveys over the years and have never seen a bat!. I am, however, in the habit of sticking my camera in hollow trees and taking a snap upwards..I've taked pics of a bat, a huge spider and seen some pretty awesome views of the inside of hollow trees :thumbup1:...try it!

Done a few bat surveys over the years and have never seen a bat!. I am, however, in the habit of sticking my camera in hollow trees and taking a snap upwards..I've taked pics of a bat, a huge spider and seen some pretty awesome views of the inside of hollow trees :thumbup1:...try it!

Funny cos now i know what im looking for i see the buggars loads! love them critters, intelligent animals too IMO

There flight style, habitat, size, face and ears, not sure if they are Bandits they do have very dark faces. I did last year sight Lesser/Greater Horseshoes in the lane ( not sure which one as iv only seen the one size) but have not seen any this year. Interest was born some years ago by Treelife, since then its just grown also the local Batt group help identify flight paths around my area. I have also included information regarding Batt sp within my reports when a specific sp / flight path are known to be active or pressant close to trees. clients always take an interest which could then develop. They are great little things:thumbup:

I have been told before that if you see bats feeding under lights they are sure to be pips. Do you think that is an accurate generalisation?

It seems to be the case where I live, I take my kids to watch them snaffling moths under a street light occasionally.