How prevalent are Bats ?

David Humphries

anyone can open bat boxes, just so long as there is a suitably licensed person present at the time.Usually done by bat clubs to an agreed schedule. But thanks for pointing out that it is a serious issue !!.Still a novice on the forum you see !!!

that makes two of us! im still posting amateur dribble!:lol:

always trying to improve it though:001_cool:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We now have potential Bat roost as part of our site specific risk assessment/job sheet.

These days there much more awareness.

We too have that as part of our SSRA, which I added on to the check list as a reminder to myself and the team, to just be more aware generally.

By the type of posts that are mostly coming in on this thread, I'd agree that it appears there is a growing awareness within the industry.

Probably a long ways to go yet, but movement in the right direction nonetheless. :thumbup1:

We too have that as part of our SSRA, which I added on to the check list as a reminder to myself and the team, to just be more aware generally.

By the type of posts that are mostly coming in on this thread, I'd agree that it appears there is a growing awareness within the industry.

Probably a long ways to go yet, but movement in the right direction nonetheless. :thumbup1:

Hi David,

Excuse my ignorance but what is SSRA. Is this to do with safety ?

Could I perhaps ask through the forum if anyone has photos of bats or bat roosts in trees or other related material.It would be great to have sight of this because I think there is a need for a small notebook for bat advice/Pics etc for arbs/tree surgeons etc.I have yet to come across anything that is much use in the field.Perhaps someone will prove me wrong !

Alan.

Hi Paul,

I am a member of both Worcester Bat Group and HAM (Hereford action for mammals )our county equivalent.

As a matter of interest can you remember who you spoke to ?

'Over the Hill' Edwards.

I think it was Warwickshire bat group - our office is not far from Warwickshire. If you need some volunteers around Worcester and Hereford let me know. I would value more of an insight in to the bat world.

3 times in 11 years. The 1st time was clearing a fallen dead sorbus, a group of long eared bats exited as we cut the stem up. The tree had landed on the ground blocking there escape. (i think Mr Sorenson was on that job), 1 pipistrel under some bark on a dead poplar and another under some ivy.

Hi David,

Could I perhaps ask through the forum if anyone has photos of bats or bat roosts in trees or other related material.It would be great to have sight of this because I think there is a need for a small notebook for bat advice/Pics etc for arbs/tree surgeons etc.I have yet to come across anything that is much use in the field.Perhaps someone will prove me wrong !

Alan.

Site Specific Risk Assessment

Hi David,

Alan.

Ive never read it :blushing: but didnt our own Batiarb mr cowen write the AA best practice guide?

I do have the bat workers manual though.

Hi David, The rectangular bat box in your photo is made by the German company Schwegler who make the Roll Royce of bat boxes.They have sold over a million bat boxes around the world to date. Yours is a bat box 1FF and they are around £50/60 a throw, so somebody had plenty of money. They are ideal for pips/noctules etc.The front lid folds down for inspection and they can hold many bats at one time..

we've errected a good few Schweglers of varying designs, hoping the one we resurected on to the wall on this thread, post 18.............

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/23480-bat-box-installation-day-2.html

..........will become used. It's literally right across the yard from my office window.

Am thinking that we could errect some kind of tray beneath, (like the material we talked about in the pub) to catch any 'arrisings'

that will help identify usage.

possibly a web cam type deal to capture footage to link to our information centre for the local schools etc, as well.

we've errected a good few Schweglers of varying designs, hoping the one we resurected on to the wall on this thread, post 18.............

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/23480-bat-box-installation-day-2.html

..........will become used. It's literally right across the yard from my office window.

Am thinking that we could errect some kind of tray beneath, (like the material we talked about in the pub) to catch any 'arrisings'

that will help identify usage.

possibly a web cam type deal to capture footage to link to our information centre for the local schools etc, as well.

Hi David,

The material I suggested was a length of insulating fleece for plants.Loosely rolled and fixed horizontally a couple of feet under the bat box it should trap a collection of 'arrisings' (bat poo to me ) if the box is being used. Bats have a very fast digestive system to reduce all up flying weight so if anything goes in the front end it will come out the back end within about 40 minutes.so there should always be poo.If a tree is being suspected of having bats within it it is always useful to look on the bark and around the base of the tree.The size and shape of these vary between bat species,so are an indicator of what may be using the tree/bat box etc.If bat poo is rolled between the fingers it should easily crumble into tiny fragments of wing etc. If it is hard then it will be the droppings of some other mammal such as mouse,vole etc. RE.Moccas Park. I will bring what I can. Must go to earn. Wish I could get paid for this it is very enjoyable !!

Hi David,

The material I suggested was a length of insulating fleece for plants.Loosely rolled and fixed horizontally a couple of feet under the bat box it should trap a collection of 'arrisings' (bat poo to me ) if the box is being used. Bats have a very fast digestive system to reduce all up flying weight so if anything goes in the front end it will come out the back end within about 40 minutes.so there should always be poo.If a tree is being suspected of having bats within it it is always useful to look on the bark and around the base of the tree.The size and shape of these vary between bat species,so are an indicator of what may be using the tree/bat box etc.If bat poo is rolled between the fingers it should easily crumble into tiny fragments of wing etc. If it is hard then it will be the droppings of some other mammal such as mouse,vole etc. RE.Moccas Park. I will bring what I can. Must go to earn. Wish I could get paid for this it is very enjoyable !!

If you want camera footage then a lot of the latest video cameras will record bat in klow light conditions.I also use Infra red home security cameras which are very cheap now in comparison ( Maplins etc) They can be set to motion sensor record so you don't have to spend hours watching nothing !!