chainsaw accident

Ross Beaumont

I have lost count the number of people we pass using work tools without PPE. HSE seem to turn up after the events. Why not some free advice to small firms. Prevention is more cost effective than cure.

Definatly aggree with this, But also the HSE are deemed unapproachable by small firms for fear of being told that they have to change everything and implement more paper work then what we could cut down! :thumbdown:

Definatly aggree with this, But also the HSE are deemed unapproachable by small firms for fear of being told that they have to change everything and implement more paper work then what we could cut down! :thumbdown:

HSE have a 'small business trade association forum' to which the AA contributes. One of the key roles is about reducing the amount of paperwork and bureaucracy affecting small businesses whilst ensuring adequate control of workplace hazards and risk.

I wouldn't be afraid of approaching HSE, they're much more about education and promoting good practice these days rather than prosecuting and enforcement.

Cheers..

Paul

Things like this just shouldn't happen and suitable professionals should be engaged for specific tasks.

Paul

I live in a predominantly agricultural area, and its very common to see farm lads out and about with saws (no ppe or training, its only a chainsaw, and they're only cutting one tree!) Because of this, many people will not employ a suitably suited and booted Tree surgeon, but the lad they saw on the way past the farm. I know of steel erectors who will run out on a beam to "lop" off limbs that are in their way, again no training or ppe, not even safety harnesses.

The issue here is not a clamp down by HSE, nor us reporting every incident of this type we see, but for the HSE to teach people about their responsibilites, both to themselves and those around them.

The incident reported could have been safely dealt with a little common sense, there is no need to get in a "professional" but instead make sure one guy on site is trained to use a saw, and wear the ppe.

The issue here seems to smack of what is rife in every business controlled by bosses who like to take short cuts and put their employees safety at risk for small financial gain. Tell your mate to take legal advice and get a different job with a professional boss.

I truly think that we should all avoid getting involved in any legal arguments or opinions on this at the moment. We have very little information on what SOUNDS like an horrific incident.

I really hope that the guy pulls through, and whatever course of action is taken, it is the best for him.

I truly think that we should all avoid getting involved in any legal arguments or opinions on this at the moment. We have very little information on what SOUNDS like an horrific incident.

I really hope that the guy pulls through, and whatever course of action is taken, it is the best for him.

Suggesting legal advice is only reasonable, or?