BBC Documentary about leylandii

LisaLandmark

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done a few high hedge in investigation for Local Councils, the problem they have found with the legislation is yes you can charge a fee for the initial investigation but it does not allow for subsequent fees to be charged for investigations. Therefore the Local Councils are having to go back to the same sites every year to measure the height of these hedges at a cost to the Local Council.

I would consider it a good idea consider the history of the tree, ask why do people plant Leylandii, pest and diseases. I have often been asked in regards to hedges and trees , I want to plant something fast growing, cheap and will stop at 6 foot tall. I do not know any plant that conforms to these three requirements, however Leylandii is cheap and fast growing but NEEDs managing 2/3 times a year given it can grow up to one meter a year.

I have listed a few websites for your information.

Regulatory Impact Assessment: High Hedges - Implementing Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 - Planning, building and the environment - Department for Communities and Local Government

Hedgeline: Campaign against nuisance high hedges

Landmark Films has been commissioned by BBC1 to make a documentary about leylandii hedges. Love them or loathe them most people have a view about these trees....

Have you thought about including an alternative approach in your doc'? Leyland's cypress is a tree just like any other species in that it is highly adapted to make the most of it's ecolgical niche (even if it is a hybrid). It is simply doing what it is designed to.

The problems only occur when we decide to interfere and try force it to grow in unsuitable locations and conditions. It's people with their lack of forsight planting trees in stupid locations in the first place that are the problem, not the trees themselves.

As Tony mentioned, there is an amazing double row of Leyland's at Bedgebury Pinetum. They form a spectacular backdrop and greatly enhance the scenery because due consideration was given to their mature size when they were planted.