SaS SRT

Rob Murf

Rob, don't take this the wrong way mate, but what do you do with all that crap in the srt system once you get into the tree. :001_tongue: Do you take it off and hang it over a branch, leave it clipped to the access rope??

IMO all that caffuffle is only worth it in comps and dirty great big trees, of which there aren't that many here to warrant that stuff.

What would you call an free air ascent that warrants that setup, 50ft, 75ft, 100ft

BTW, I think my veiws on open throat ascenders are known ( and they are only my veiws :001_smile: ) but as Laz as already brought it up, I would not feel safe and would not recommend, a setup in which the rope is not carabined in, so it can't come out

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like a very dynamic set-up. I'm going to have to give that a go. Thanks for posting the pics

By the time you've figured it all out and got all the strop and cord lengths right I'd have the tree down, cleaned up and gone home to pick the tent up for you to camp and have a think about it. :001_tongue:

Nice pic's ? The location ? Beautiful winters day at Beauty Point nearr the mouth of the Tamar River Tassie deadwooding Euc's.

Nice pic's ? Scottie ( The Edge) Sharpe ? Current Victorian and Tassie Tree Climbing Champ.

The Croll and the Basic are life support the pantin isnt he has an energy absober on the other end off the acess line with a Cinch for lowering.

Thanks for replying. Nice place. You can keep the Eucs though :thumbdown::001_smile:

So, if I understand this correctly, the energy absorber is attached to the cinch which is attached to the base of the tree?

1. If so, how does the groundie lower the climber once the energy absorber has deployed and the cinch is 6m up the tree?

2. Do you always climb through mid air? A 4m fall back down through branches would cause serious injury after the energy absorber ripped.

3. How does a knotted rope pass the cinch during lowering, or do you use 100m ropes?

Could you please video this set up from take off? I'd like to compare it to other systems for efficiency. :001_cool:

Rob, don't take this the wrong way mate, but what do you do with all that crap in the srt system once you get into the tree. :001_tongue: Do you take it off and hang it over a branch, leave it clipped to the access rope??

IMO all that caffuffle is only worth it in comps and dirty great big trees, of which there aren't that many here to warrant that stuff.

What would you call an free air ascent that warrants that setup, 50ft, 75ft, 100ft

BTW, I think my veiws on open throat ascenders are known ( and they are only my veiws :001_smile: ) but as Laz as already brought it up, I would not feel safe and would not recommend, a setup in which the rope is not carabined in, so it can't come out

Dean you can either leave it clipped on the acess line (except the pantin which stays on your foot)

Dean yep you are right u only use it on big tree pruning. We have a big 120 ft Euc removal coming up and Scott would spike up that.

I know the groundsman was exaggerating but he said said we did in 2 days what he seen other crews take two weeks. Sounds good though!!.So we might beat you home yet!!

Scot said the system is loosely based on the texas walker system in caving and he is still developing it.

Las

the Cinch is behind the breakaway Petzel strop which only opens to 400 cm . He had two lines one holding one for lowering. Mines 100 meters .