PC or Mac?

Steve Bullman

best advice i was ever told was "stick with what you know"

especially landrovers..tdi's all the way

got 2 mates with macs and they rave about them

i got old pc 5yrs on xp in the office and its crap in comparison to the cheap advent laptop i use at home with vista which does everything inc my web design with frontpage.

personally i would try to have a go on my mates before spending loads of bucks, after all you would test drive a car.

i've also been told that they dont need any anti virus protection either???

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never used AV software and never had a problem. I don't think hackers/developers can be 4rsed to develop and malicious attack for such a minority. I hope they keep it that way..:001_cool:

i have never run any anti virus protection on my PC’s going back to win95, win98, winME, 2k beta, 2k pro, XP pro, you just have to know what to turn off & how ;)

I think the key the either is to have the correct amount of RAM and then some...

OSX Tiger with 2gig of ram. that's the ram maxed out on a 15inch powerbook g4 (most recent model before the macbook pro)

more than enough for logic, protools, etc. but it always threw a wobbler if i tried to make it do everything.

so why do those who have a mac and pc, keep using the pc if the mac is better?

I gave my 16" Viao to the missus so occasionally use it if it is on and i am in the room.

I know that a lot of people keep Pc's as gaming machines as they are better than the Mac. But I am not a gamer!

Jim... when you are producing the music, you are trying to lump around usually large files. Have you tried to do similar processes with a Pc carrying a similar spec?

No PCs here, all Mac!

The Macs being less susceptable to viruses thing is an urban myth, its just that there arent as many macs around so there is less money in trying to steal from mac users. As more macs are sold this will change, and virus protection will be as essential for macs as it is for pcs.

In fact, at a hacking challenge earlier this year, a top spec Mac with all the latest security was hacked in two minutes. The windows machine lasted a day, and a unix machine didnt succumb at all. Dont read too much into that though, all computers can be hacked, it just takes time and persistance. The mac hacker just got lucky that time.

depends what im doing if im honest. Mac's work in a very different way of course, or at least they used to. theyre very ram dependant rather than processor. I can be working with 32+ tracks of very high quality audio plus virtual instruments with no problem on the mac. Ive not actually tried such large scale productions on pc purely due to my external firewire 800 drive being mac formatted.

Once upon a time, I used to do all file format conversions on PC as I found powerpc architecture to be slower than intel for that, as with amd vs intel, but

now mac use intel, it's not an issue.

I did however start out using cubase on the PC before i bought my mac which I found didnt struggle at all and that was a similar spec. If it werent for apple's logic studio and my preference for the mac edition of pro tools, I would probably be back on a pc for that too rather than trying to justify the high price once more.

A large number of my colleagues have actually gone back to purpose built PC based machines.

There are a few editing suites, including industry standard Pyramix which only work on PCs

In short, personally, I find my mac is just excellent at what I want it to do. absolutely no doubt there, but my windows laptop is a brilliantly versatile machine on the flipside.

I would say that unless you're spending a lot of time processing large amounts of audio, or video, or doing high definition graphics (the screens on mac's are awesome), your money probably goes further on a PC.

Lets not forget aftersales. Apple have been very very good to me. some people have had more trouble. A successful house producer told me that he had been sold a 'slow g5' and apple wouldnt replace it, because aparently all macs are not born equal, or at least werent when the g5s came out.

but say your machine does break, there are a million and one guys out there who can fix any problem on a PC almost while you wait, with an apple, your downtime increases dramatically. Something ive seen in studios causing havoc.

Macs are awesome, I love mine, but Ive tried to be as detatched in my response as possible.

As i reply on my Macbook pro, i have to go with MAC.

I have used pc's and windows at work for years and used them at home. I am basically computer illiterate and have difficulty doing anything new on them. I was suffering lots of virus attacks, kept messing up settings, and had problems with speed processing etc on the pc, and so switched to a Mac.

Mac seems to me to be more simple to operate at a basic level, and so you can't mess it up by simple mistakes as on a PC. Also, as stated before, no virus problems.

I am sure that a good user with knowledge on a pc would not have the problems i have had, but we cannot all be geniuses on conputers (and my son isn't old enoght yet to tutor me:001_smile: So as I said, for basic me, the Mac wins hands down.

When i used Pc's i was constantly hating every minute of using them, but since i have got a Mac, the simplicity makes me want to learn more on it. Might even create my own web page:001_tt1:

Macs all the way, home , work the lot. I find them fast to learn (more intuitive than then the multitude of steps in PCs). The design dept of one of my employers uses big mac servers and 24" flat screens, they say the graphics and colours are better (they do web and trad catalogue designs).

The newer mac book pro's seem to be fast and capable, the missus has one and is usually running excel, filemaker pro, entourage (email) and powerpoint at the same time with no issues (or delays)

I'm waiting for someone to bring out a decent autocad style prog for Macs to create/read .dwg etc.