What is the max unbraked trailer for tractor ?

gensetsteve

Check the flow chart on page 14

linky

That looks like its the same 750kg limit that all trailers have. But it is also speed & age of vehicle related. This does surprise me as there are loads of 3 tonne ish sized trailers with no brakes or just parking ones.

This linky does seem to say that you can have a bigger trailer as long as you only drive (even if the tractor can go faster) at less than 20kph.

Edited by Justme

Check the flow chart on page 14

linky

That looks like its the same 750kg limit that all trailers have. But it is also speed & age of vehicle related. This does surprise me as there are loads of 3 tonne ish sized trailers with no brakes or just parking ones.

This linky does seem to say that you can have a bigger trailer as long as you only drive (even if the tractor can go faster) at less than 20kph.

That is a good find. My jd 2140 weighs 3.5 tonne so as long as u dont go over 20 mph it can legally tow a 11 tonne trailer. I have had 5tonne behind that was bad enough.

That is a good find. My jd 2140 weighs 3.5 tonne so as long as u dont go over 20 mph it can legally tow a 11 tonne trailer. I have had 5tonne behind that was bad enough.

How would you get 11 tons up to 20mph with a 2140?! If you did you'd never stop it again surely. I used to haul corncarts, silage carts etc with the smaller 2130 and they were just about OK with full 6-ton trailers. But that was cross country, not too much on the road.

Rather you than me with 11 tons!

Jon

How would you get 11 tons up to 20mph with a 2140?! If you did you'd never stop it again surely. I used to haul corncarts, silage carts etc with the smaller 2130 and they were just about OK with full 6-ton trailers. But that was cross country, not too much on the road.

Rather you than me with 11 tons!

Jon

I think 6 tonne is alot with no brakes. I had heard it was illegal to tow more than 750kg with no brakes but thats clearly not true. I think 3 tonne unbraked is comfortable. Just wondered what was sensible without brakes. i have a timber trailer with crane and no brakes could imagine it would weigh 7 tonnes if not careful.

I think 6 tonne is alot with no brakes. I had heard it was illegal to tow more than 750kg with no brakes but thats clearly not true. I think 3 tonne unbraked is comfortable. Just wondered what was sensible without brakes. i have a timber trailer with crane and no brakes could imagine it would weigh 7 tonnes if not careful.

Right as there is a HSE and Lantra training day close by and i know the instructors etc i have been and asked them today !

Law is 750KG UNBRAKED MAX regardless of prime mover !

140000 kg Ag vehicle GTW if the brakes are on a spool or mechanically applied with a lever etc

14000kg and over they have to be intergrated ie automatiaclly applied to the trailer from the prime movers braking curcuit !

and Max road spead for any tractor in this country excluding fastracs and Mogs is 20 mph or 32 kmh ! if over this speed suspenstion and the like come into play as well as the traailer having to comply with regulations regarding braking suspenstion etc

ALL trailers have to conform to construction and use regarding lighting aswell !

I know i know its a pain but if you use them on the road you can and may be prossecuted if the dont meet regs etc !

hope this helps !

Pass on that but what i posted was from Trainers from lantra who train tractor drivers all over the country and they were there with the HSE i asked three guys i know who train trainers etc and they all say the same !

Basicly i think if your going to use it for work etc and under PUWER and risk assesments you would find that you may need to brake it anyway as if something went wrong you may fall foul of the law !

does the axle / axles on the trailer have brakes fitted at present just not connected up etc ? if so a pair of brake rams etc are not expensive so maybe better to fit than not also lots of brake faliures on tractors are from using them with no or ineffective poorly maintained trailer brakes ! tink of the effort the brakes have to exsert to stop the full load !

trust me i have seen the damage cooked brakes etc can do internaly to a back axle ! the newer the tractor the more hassle it is as the bits of worn lining/plates etc get into all and every oilway etc and a full back end stripdown isnt uncommon at great expense !

i know i would fit brakes to my trailers as i know how effective they are and how much safer i would feel to be able to stop in a shorter distance in a hurry or just the stress releif on the tractors braking system !

David

Pass on that but what i posted was from Trainers from lantra who train tractor drivers all over the country and they were there with the HSE i asked three guys i know who train trainers etc and they all say the same !

Basicly i think if your going to use it for work etc and under PUWER and risk assesments you would find that you may need to brake it anyway as if something went wrong you may fall foul of the law !

does the axle / axles on the trailer have brakes fitted at present just not connected up etc ? if so a pair of brake rams etc are not expensive so maybe better to fit than not also lots of brake faliures on tractors are from using them with no or ineffective poorly maintained trailer brakes ! tink of the effort the brakes have to exsert to stop the full load !

trust me i have seen the damage cooked brakes etc can do internaly to a back axle ! the newer the tractor the more hassle it is as the bits of worn lining/plates etc get into all and every oilway etc and a full back end stripdown isnt uncommon at great expense !

i know i would fit brakes to my trailers as i know how effective they are and how much safer i would feel to be able to stop in a shorter distance in a hurry or just the stress releif on the tractors braking system !

David

I was doing a bit of reasearch I like to know the facts chapter and verse. I am not keen on hearsay it must be documentented somewhere. I am having a large timber trailer built and it will have air brakes and hydraulic so will have choice. I have a forest log trailer with no brakes and just wondered what the regs were.

I was doing a bit of reasearch I like to know the facts chapter and verse. I am not keen on hearsay it must be documentented somewhere. I am having a large timber trailer built and it will have air brakes and hydraulic so will have choice. I have a forest log trailer with no brakes and just wondered what the regs were.

ill have an ask around and find it in print if i can !

are you planning to use the forest log trailer loaded on the road ?

off road you can do what you like ! on road you will have to comply with construction and use regs ! maybe worth finding a copy and having a read !