Ring barking Apples and Pears

Pat Ferrett

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old man used to say

" Dogs ,Women, and Walnut trees,the more you beat them the better they be"

I think you might be right, it maybe that the tree feels that it should produce seed via fruit to further its existence :thumbup1:.

That is where "rule of thumb" stems, Pun intended. You are not to beat with anything thicker than your thumb.

I have used this with clients that wish a thin straggley old bush would thicken up.

Give it a wack or shake it vigorously.

Edited by RopeKnight

I've seen ring barking mentioned in a couple of books i have on fruit tree pruning. I did a fruit tree pruning course a few years back and they mentioned it too.

The only experence i have of it was working in a community garden where each year the people strimming always gave the base of the trees a fair bit of damage. The trees very in very good shape considering and never needed much pruning and always produced a good crop.

I have seen it in books but never tried it. I doubt it is good for the long term health of a tree but may help improve the fruit yeild.

You may already know this but for those who do not: The little knife is a timber scribe. I think thats what the little pocket behind the knee on chainsaw trousers is for. Im always looking out for them at bootsales. They are quite pricy new.

You don't completely ringbark the tree. Depending on how much you want to stress the tree you go halfway or three quarters round leaving some cambium. You can then repeat the exercise for several years staggering where the cambium is left. Each successive ringing above the previous one. It makes the tree work harder at producing seed.

You don't completely ringbark the tree. Depending on how much you want to stress the tree you go halfway or three quarters round leaving some cambium. You can then repeat the exercise for several years staggering where the cambium is left. Each successive ringing above the previous one. It makes the tree work harder at producing seed.

Ahh right makes sense to me now!:001_rolleyes::thumbup1:

For some reason I thought it was ring barking as in the entire circumference.