Could woodland group ownership be a pension fund

Les Cork

Hi all

Got talking the other day and was put this question.

As Arb people how many would consider a part share in woodland as a pension fund and use the sustainable wood from thinning etc for revenue to fund other activities in the wood which to generate other income.

Would this work on a local regional or national basis ?

Anyone know of the price changes per acre/hectare over the past 10 years.

Comments please

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in. It's a legacy as much as a me-me-me pension pot. Woodland has statistically done better than bricks and mortar! Surely not you say; well apparently so - it has never fluctuated with recessions, credit crunches and all the other materials man has put his trust in.

thats me in too then!:thumbup:

charcoal at 400 a ton? only 5% used is produced in the u.k and apparently uk charcoal is high quality too

I restorative coppiced a 3 acre plot of hazel last year and put into my shed probably 20m3 of the stuff; not much. But the regrowth in one year is bonkers and these stools were sporadic to say the least; the rest of the plot was dead elm and scrub. But here's the best bit - firewood customers were loving the hazel. I heard recently about GM ash (altho not directly GM - I would be anti that) rather like this super spruce they trialled in cumbria - 20% faster.

I put all my pension into woodland in 2005 as part of a 'SIPP' -- self-invested pension plan. You must be self-employed to do this.

The government requires that the wood is purchased by a pensions management company on your behalf and you lease it from your pension fund at an agreed rent. Any rent you pay obviously goes directly into your pension fund and eventually there could be enough in the fund to buy some more woodland. And of course the asset grows in value all the time.

Woodland has increased in value dramatically since 2005 (typically x3) and will continue to rise -- because, as they say, 'they don't make it any more'.

I would have thought that anyone who earns a living from woodland would see this as an excellent investment for a pension. Better than fancy funds the 'financial advisers' make a killing from. And there's nothing so nice as taking a walk through your pension fund, listening to the birdsong

Best wishes,

John Russell

Are you meaning personally or do you mean Arbtalk members becoming the new Privately owned Forestry commision???

Now theres a thought in part perhaps, i was merely sounding out some thoughts to make a decent evaluation, then take pro advice, some of the info already received looks very promising.

In pots of money as ownership contracts of say particular type/yield/position options of usage ie sporting, camping over a period of time i wonder what a 20-30 year return would be and the final value at resale. With almost 100% tax concessions and no capital gains tax it could also be a legacy to pass on to our families.

A study of mixed hardwood and sustainable softwood maybe could be the most all round best bet, another could be Xmas trees in small plantations within clearings within a mixed woodland, i'm really wanting to open this up and want some opinion and different business ideas.

It's a thought that with us all probably needing to work on later in life than was expected how we can get better long term return and along the way do a bit of good and make a few quid.

Popstars buy thousands of Hectares so why not a hundred or a thousand people buy blocks of woodland.

I put all my pension into woodland in 2005 as part of a 'SIPP' -- self-invested pension plan. You must be self-employed to do this.

The government requires that the wood is purchased by a pensions management company on your behalf and you lease it from your pension fund at an agreed rent. Any rent you pay obviously goes directly into your pension fund and eventually there could be enough in the fund to buy some more woodland. And of course the asset grows in value all the time.

Woodland has increased in value dramatically since 2005 (typically x3) and will continue to rise -- because, as they say, 'they don't make it any more'.

I would have thought that anyone who earns a living from woodland would see this as an excellent investment for a pension. Better than fancy funds the 'financial advisers' make a killing from. And there's nothing so nice as taking a walk through your pension fund, listening to the birdsong

Best wishes,

John Russell

Sounds excellent :thumbup: