Question on SRT setups

Ian Flatters

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yep keeps things simple. the only reason I do it the way I do is it makes it easier to have the parts interchangeable to make different systems as I flick between something similar to the roperocket and the treefrog.

If it were all pre-tied together as one complete unit it would make me changing systems a PITA. In my experience the treefrog is best(for me) because like tully says the handle gives you something large to grab onto.

I dont have the treemotion Cary. I have a treemagic, but the principle is the same.

I girth hitch a couple of 20cm webbing slings onto the D rings that connect the legs and waist belt. Then connect the croll to those.

Heres my take on the micro frog. Ive used tenex for this one but ive also got one made from armour prus (way more time consuming to splice). The elastic from body futura clips onto my helmet strap with just enough tension to keep it upright (a bonus is that it makes me do my helmet up before climbing). the woopie section allows me to cinch it tight onto my left foot. This makes for a tiny setup that weighs nothing and only uses one carabiner.

P1000950.jpg.c5eb5af426689d1a745b81c29afdc2cd.jpg

P1000949.jpg.26fa7c8127a91ba642d5ce59a99bab30.jpg

P1000948.jpg.41ba3fc7d1540adc82ad3ac34aa6d5ee.jpg

If splicing straight onto the ascender, remember to put a plastic or metal thimble in the eye. and say goodbye to using the ascender for anything else!! my kong with the ap version is sat doing nothing as i cant bring myself to cut the splce off as the whole thing took a while to do...........

If splicing straight onto the ascender, remember to put a plastic or metal thimble in the eye. and say goodbye to using the ascender for anything else!! my kong with the ap version is sat doing nothing as i cant bring myself to cut the splce off as the whole thing took a while to do...........

Haha I feel the pain on cutting a nice splice..:thumbdown: I don't usually splice onto anything because I am constantly messing around with different setups. Like to keep my gear fluid!:thumbup:

Alex Laver will gladly take months of your life away demonstrating SRT at the Cutters and Climbers if you only ask him!

2) If using kong ascenders should i back it up with a prussick wrap through the handle over the ropes like i do in drt footlocking?

You'd be better off (i.e., less likely to die) if you backed each line up seperatley on drt with a kong twin ascender. If one cam disengages then the wrap around the handle/lines (or even above the cams) won't hold you. Try it from the ground - just click one cam in, wrap it up, attach to harness and sit down... make sure there's something comfy there first though!