Question on SRT setups

Ian Flatters

Ok,

So having had a bit of a go at srt last week i was wondering is there a;

1) Reccomended amount of connections?

2) If using kong ascenders should i back it up with a prussick wrap through the handle over the ropes like i do in drt footlocking?

3) Is Just using a kong dual ascender + pantin foot ascender fine or should i really add a croll between the two linked to the dual ascender for safety?

p.s i know the questions are pretty much the same just wanted to get your opinions as these are bits of kit a already have and use.

I know that a number of you will be going 'duh its obvious' But i can't seem to find the answer via search. Lots of threads on srt setups just none of thes questions were covered.

Cheers for taking the time to answer the questions for a novice at srt.:thumbup1:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kong+footloop, croll and pantin.:thumbup:

rapid ropewalker!!! I have the same but with the petzl hand ascender.

To max out the efficiency, stand in the footloop with your leg straight.. the hand ascender should be just above the croll. That allows maximum stroke and capture of progess.:thumbup:

kong+footloop, croll and pantin.:thumbup:

rapid ropewalker!!! I have the same but with the petzl hand ascender.

To max out the efficiency, stand in the footloop with your leg straight.. the hand ascender should be just above the croll. That allows maximum stroke and capture of progess.:thumbup:

This question is going to sound a bit dumb..... Right, so the croll is located below the hand ascender but is linked to the hand ascender by a bit of cord at a set length or something elastic to pull it back up when you take pressure off the croll and onto the pantin?

Ok,

So having had a bit of a go at srt last week i was wondering is there a;

1) Reccomended amount of connections?

2) If using kong ascenders should i back it up with a prussick wrap through the handle over the ropes like i do in drt footlocking?

3) Is Just using a kong dual ascender + pantin foot ascender fine or should i really add a croll between the two linked to the dual ascender for safety?

p.s i know the questions are pretty much the same just wanted to get your opinions as these are bits of kit a already have and use.

Cheers for taking the time to answer the questions for a novice at srt.:thumbup1:

Do you mean connections to the srt line?

I am backing up my unicender at the moment with a helical as I think it helps with the transition from dry to srt! I also use a floating croll with a foot loop ata he'd to a bungee for long ascents.

Hope this helps

Do you mean connections to the srt line?

I am backing up my unicender at the moment with a helical as I think it helps with the transition from dry to srt! I also use a floating croll with a foot loop ata he'd to a bungee for long ascents.

Hope this helps

Yes to the srt line itself. My thought was do i need to back up the hand ascender if i use the croll which in my head is the back up:confused1:

Ian, what I usually do is loop up my remaining rope so it hangs just off the ground, so that the ascenders feed through nicely. When I am at home I can post a picture of my setup but basically your thinking is correct.

From the top down it goes like this..

Hand ascender, footloop and webbing sling(to attach to harness)

Croll connected to the rings either side of my bridge (the green ones on the treemotion) with two very short webbing slings and a maillon. From the top of the croll I have a very short bungee loop that can go round my neck or be clipped to the chin strap of my harness with a tiny biner..

Pantin on the right foot.

Might sound a bit complicated, but it really isn't. For me it is the most efficient setup, traded off against simplicity. The hand ascender and the croll back each other up and you have a life support connection to both. One tip, the main connection is the croll so make sure the life support tether to the hand ascender is slightly longer that the max height you lift it to otherwise it can be a pain in the butt as you want to move the ascender higher but the tether stops you if it is too short.

Hope that helps. I will post a picture when I can.

Ben

Ian, what I usually do is loop up my remaining rope so it hangs just off the ground, so that the ascenders feed through nicely. When I am at home I can post a picture of my setup but basically your thinking is correct.

From the top down it goes like this..

Hand ascender, footloop and webbing sling(to attach to harness)

Croll connected to the rings either side of my bridge (the green ones on the treemotion) with two very short webbing slings and a maillon. From the top of the croll I have a very short bungee loop that can go round my neck or be clipped to the chin strap of my harness with a tiny biner..

Pantin on the right foot.

Might sound a bit complicated, but it really isn't. For me it is the most efficient setup, traded off against simplicity. The hand ascender and the croll back each other up and you have a life support connection to both. One tip, the main connection is the croll so make sure the life support tether to the hand ascender is slightly longer that the max height you lift it to otherwise it can be a pain in the butt as you want to move the ascender higher but the tether stops you if it is too short.

Hope that helps. I will post a picture when I can.

Ben

Yeah thats what was kind of going on im my mind about the setup. I just kept thinking back to the back up on drt footlocking with the dual ascender and kind of confused myself a wee bit:001_rolleyes: A picture would be fantastic. :thumbup1: Although im still a bit confused about the chin thingy?

Ian, try this: top helical to a unicender, unicender direct to bridge. For long ascents a floating croll with a bungee to the unicender with a foot loop of the croll. A simple tiny snap crab on the bungee. When doing long ascents throw your lanyard over your shoulder and clip in to the unicender and will make it self tend. On the foot a pantin.