Safe Contractor, Chas?

evergreen

we are safe contractor approved, its a lengthy job, but worth doing because its a benchmark, other big industrial clients will see that far superior to even AA status which we also have.

its the sort of thing you would only really bother with (safe contractor approval) if you wanted to bypass all the BS of re issuing a bunch of H&S paperwork evertime you got into bed with a new big company, say a housing association or somebody like GLAXO etc

we are safe contractor approved, its a lengthy job, but worth doing because its a benchmark, other big industrial clients will see that far superior to even AA status which we also have.

its the sort of thing you would only really bother with (safe contractor approval) if you wanted to bypass all the BS of re issuing a bunch of H&S paperwork evertime you got into bed with a new big company, say a housing association or somebody like GLAXO etc

thats about it. No scheme will win you work. Some might help ease the health and safety admin but this will likely be with firms you already work for rather than a string of new ones

thats about it. No scheme will win you work. Some might help ease the health and safety admin but this will likely be with firms you already work for rather than a string of new ones

its as matt says, think of these as muscle, a fitter firm is a better firm:001_smile:

muscle dont get get you clients, reputation and marketing does

All these H&S accreditation schemes 'open doors', i.e. gives you the opportunity to tender for works, usually at the LA (Local Authority) / commercial sector level etc. as part of the pre qualification process.

As you say no gaurantee of work tho, that comes down to 'pounds/shillings n pence', but hopefully gives further opportunities.

Increasingly 'ARB Approved Contractor' is being seen, in addition to CHAS (which we currently DUAL AWARD) and SAFEcontractor (with whom we are currently 'in discussions' to acheive the same 'deemed to satisfy' arrangement), is being seen as the 'competence' benchmark for tree work contracts. This was echoed by seevral contractors attending our 'ArbAC Prep. Workshop' yesterday.

AND don't forget for a small business, i.e. 'up to 5 people' (includes the employer), this is available for less than £500 per year....a 'BARGAIN' with a 'BOGOFF'...can you afford not to be 'ARB Approved'???

(comments on a postcard and with words of more than one syllabus and no f's please, ha!)

Cheers all..

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I think im correct in saying that a while back if you got Safecontractor you got CHAS automatically but CHAS pulled out of the scheme as they are joined another affilation scheme that safecontractor didnt if that makes sense?) We have both CHAS and Safecontractor (long story ) as we have to be accredited for CHAS for one of our contracts. Out of the two i thinK CHAS is recognised by more clients, though if another quote is cheaper H&S doesnt seem to be an issue ! Another concern i have with the schemes is that all you ahve to do is send off all your information required to the relevent accreditors - they never visit you or your premises.

I think im correct in saying that a while back if you got Safecontractor you got CHAS automatically but CHAS pulled out of the scheme as they are joined another affilation scheme that safecontractor didnt if that makes sense?) We have both CHAS and Safecontractor (long story ) as we have to be accredited for CHAS for one of our contracts. Out of the two i thinK CHAS is recognised by more clients, though if another quote is cheaper H&S doesnt seem to be an issue ! Another concern i have with the schemes is that all you ahve to do is send off all your information required to the relevent accreditors - they never visit you or your premises.

It was actually SAFEcontractor who withdrew from the SSIP (Safety Scheme in Procurement) probably because of commercial concerns, and hence there was no deemed to satisfy arrangement with CHAS. However they are now back on board AND meeting with me to discuss 'ArbAC' and opportuinties for a similar deemed to satisfy agreement next wek....fingers crossed!

CHAS wholly recognise the robustness, and credibility, of the 'ArbAC' for exactly the reason you mention, i.e. we DO visit you at your premises, AND on site, AND at several previous work sites.

CHAS have circa 450 'buyers' (proposective clients) on their database with near on 40,000 contractors...plus of course many 'other' clients who use CHAS but are not registered n their db as a 'buyer'. In terms of H&S 'Stage 1' compliance assessments, they are singularly the largest accreditation body.

Hence this is why we partnered with them.

Cheers..

Paul