Would you climb this?

egs

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt climb it :thumbdown: I'd send the groundy up and tell him it was a good tree for him to practice on :thumbup1:

On a serious note the tree could be done safely by an experienced climber or end in tears for someone with little or no experience. Its your call ,your the one thats going to climb it so think hard, if you walk away from the job then I would'nt see it as defeat only a measure of the respect that you,ve got for the difficulties tree's can present.

Stay safe and good luck :thumbup1:

No heave around the root plate, does the owner know when it gave up the ghost?

Give it the old kick test with a funkin' sledge hammer, do your usual pre climb inspection, rope into something chunky, make sure all your saws are sharp, and concentrate Jedi!

Good luck clearing up. Looks like 2 loads of rakings, saw dust, and smashed to pieces dead wood that won't go through the chipper.

first question is what is your Gut feeling

I have done a fair amount of trees that others have turned down but turned down a few that others have done.

If you are unsure then it will really affect what you do.

It is more about what you do though

ie doing a branch walk from a high anchor will have much more cause for concern than spiking up and stripping as you go.

as a second point is it worth the risk against how many others you can do in the next 46 yrs till you retire:thumbup:

I agree with most.....certainly looks climbable from the pictures........have it out in big lumps and get out of tree asap......but you have to make the call......can you not leave as a standing deadwood monolith for habitat????shame to have it to the ground and you'll still get plenty of wood.......you can put 'eco arborist' on your cv then:thumbup: