• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Infinitree

I'd climb just for ***** and giggles :001_tongue:

But on a serious note, with oaks it's the roots that rot away first-but this one doesn't look long dead so IMO from the picture it's safe.

But do what you think is safe :thumbup1:

well work seems to be coming thick and fast. hence all the questions on arbtalk. ( still in my first of being self employed) anyways.....

i have been to have look at an oak tree this afternoon. dead oak tree.....

would you climb this ???/

if not i would think i would have to hire a landrover cherry picker however it will start to get expensive and i wonder if my local hire company will let me hire one even tho im only 19

whats your thorts

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

thanks

Look at it from another angle, if anything untoward happened (even if not realted to the poor condition of the tree, nonetheless it would be scrutinised), could you defend having climbed it...did you have a written method statement or a justification on your risk assessment for so doing...is it defensible?

I'm NOT saying the tree couldn't be climbed, nor indeed am I saying it can be, but the justification for so doing is down to you as the 'competent' person considering the WaH Regs and the requirement for adequate planning / organisation and supervision. Also what about 'aerial rescue', is there adequate options/strength of branches for that to be undertaken...God forbid.

See the WaH Policy for TW Ops Help becoming an ARB Approved Contractor for further reading and considerations.

Also you have mentioned rigging, which is probably a good thing...that you haven't mentioned it hopefully means you don't intend to...I would 'suggest'.

Others are better placed than I to offer their opinions and justifications, either way but I certainly would be concerned if we were presented with that situation on an 'ArbAC' assessment. It would certainly have to be a very nice, calm day and with a very carefully considered approach, ideally documented in a method statement or at least on the site risk assessment (again see above link for advice on both + templates) and a very competent and expereinced arborist involved...and no rigging. Even then I'd still be concerned!

Take care out there..!

Paul