Ash Reduction by Glen Poole

MAX

Drella, you have to understand that the US is still in its infancy when it comes to urban tree care. In Europe, we have been pleaching, pollarding, hedgelaying and coppicing since before the founding fathers set sail.

There are french Arboricultural textbooks showing Alex Shigo's 'new' pruning techniques that are over 150 years old.

Maybe you should open your mind and learn a little....?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey bro,, I happen to agree with MB when it comes to topping/pollarding.

Believe me when i say that we are yet to see some proper pikey pictures of "topping". Pollarding has been continual management practice in this country and europe since around the year dot. How do you think we managed to sustain the greatest naval fleet and empire the new world has ever seen! Arboriculture, not far off the oldest proffesion in the world!:001_cool:

Dearest Mr. Ed, even now with urban forestry coming to a forefront over the last decade or two, pollarding or topping is not even a remote possibility in the States. It's unsightly, costly and promotes nothing more than damage to the tree.

The all too common- "Right tree - Wrong spot," is managed as well as to be expected for the meantime, then removed and replaced with a tree that can function in that particular environment....

You see, since we are still in our infancy, we're able to learn from Europe's mistakes...

If you suggest that I should- "open your mind and learn a little," then may I ask for you to- "think outside the box?"

Thank-you for your attention.

even now with urban forestry coming to a forefront over the last decade or two, pollarding or topping is not even a remote possibility in the States.

Let me know when you have a few hundred years of experience.

It's unsightly, costly and promotes nothing more than damage to the tree.

How do you know? since you never practice it, you have nothing to base those claims on.

Over here, some of our oldest trees are pollards.

You see, since we are still in our infancy, we're able to learn from Europe's mistakes...

If you suggest that I should- "open your mind and learn a little," then may I ask for you to- "think outside the box?"

When you have quantifiable proof, detailing the 'mistakes', come back to me.

And considering you feel that your only management option is fell and replant, whereas I can choose from many more proven management techniques - then I think we have long been outside the box.

What makes me really giggle is ,i believe glen has done a top job on the work stated if only you new the effort it took to take to get out on those tips..but no you sir sit there and critisize when i bet you or your counter parts could not be evan arsed to get out on the tips and make the effort but prefere to sit like a conker on a string and p1ss around with a pole saw liones tailing every thing sorry dear boy but that aint the way forward....oh and if you look at shigos drawings for reductions glen has reduced just like he says to do......buy the book

if only you new the effort it took to take to get out on those tips..but no you sir sit there and critisize when i bet you or your counter parts could not be evan arsed to get out on the tips and make the effort but prefere to sit like a conker on a string and p1ss around with a pole saw liones tailing every thing sorry dear boy but that aint the way forward....

Hey bro,, what are you going on about? I think you got me all wrong....

Funny how you don't even know who you're speaking to and yet assume that I've no skill in this trade.

Well, I certainly can't be arsed to clear up your confusion over this matter. But, I will say that I'm not going anywhere fast and I'll be sure to put up some photo's of what it is- I do. Then you can proceed to brandish your sword of knowledge all you like...

You feel the way you do and I feel my way,, that's what the forum is about. No need to take it personally dude. And especially when it isn't even about you....

sorry drella but i just dont like that work been written off with topping because its not....for many different reasons wich i cant be arsed to explain but you gotta bear with us ....you dont know are climate of work neither i do yours...ive seen enough slagging off of are work though and i dont think its justified

I apologize for my apparent ignorance in this topic. But as I have stated before, I don't mind- and even respect a proper pollard. And you're right, I've never done it myself. So please accept my sincerest apologies, I hope I didn't step on any toes here.

I found this site on Pollarding and I really enjoyed it's content. Who know's, I may even give it a shot on one of my own tall shrubs here at home. Again, I'm sorry for sounding short...

Can you forgive me???:blushing:

nice site...i bet the ameriacan ISA is turning in its grave reading that....no need to apolagise about any thing we are expressing are own opinions and mine can be too harsh so dont listen...i dont think any one else does! ive worked on some old pollards that must be ages old and are trully magnificent trees!