Motor Tax on TD5s

18 stoner

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right now im confused, my 130 is insured as a commertial vehicle, and taxed appropriately to what ever DVLA charge me, should i not have just had a normal MOT? does it need a class 7? whats the difference?

proper confused!

Class 7 MOT's are for vehicles grossing 3500kg or vans. ie trannsit tippers and 130's and 110 hard tops,

Charlie if you have a crew cab I am not so sure I'll ask my MOT tester friend tomorrow and let you know.

I've read alot on the Landy forums about the new tax brackets and no one has yet said it affetcs pre 2001 vehicles if they do world war 3 will break out.:scared1:

Try this

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022514

goods vehicles over 3000kg and under 3500kg are class VII.

Therefore commercial 110 and 130 landys are goods vehicles, so are same test as transit etc. and same tax disc.

I don't know the plate weight of a 110 double cab or station wagon. If they are under 3000kg like a 90 landy then they are a car and are class IV car test and car tax, if they are over that then they are a van.

Class 7 MOT's are for vehicles grossing 3500kg or vans. ie trannsit tippers and 130's and 110 hard tops,

Charlie if you have a crew cab I am not so sure I'll ask my MOT tester friend tomorrow and let you know.

QUOTE]

yep my 130s a twin cab so not sure if its class four under dual purpose, all the previous owners mot certs are as class four. it never occured to me it would need a different type of MOT, and if it did surely it would come up on the test centers computer when they tried to fill in the online data?

yep my 130s a twin cab so not sure if its class four under dual purpose, all the previous owners mot certs are as class four.

My 110 has been tested under class 4, and grosses at 3050 kg. Looking at that, it should really be class 7, apart from the dual purpose bit. This bloke has looked in to the issue, and VOSA sent him an extract from 6th edition MOT tester's manual. Dual purpose vehicles come under class 4, and a dual purpose vehicle is:

"one that is constructed or adapted for the carriage of both passenger(s) and goods or burden of any description; and has an unladen weight (ULW) not exceeding 2,040 kg; and which either:

(a) is so constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine, is, or by the use of the appropriate controls can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle; or

(b) ..."

The ULW < 2040 kg may count out some 130s, though.

My 110 has been tested under class 4, and grosses at 3050 kg. Looking at that, it should really be class 7, apart from the dual purpose bit. This bloke has looked in to the issue, and VOSA sent him an extract from 6th edition MOT tester's manual. Dual purpose vehicles come under class 4, and a dual purpose vehicle is:

"one that is constructed or adapted for the carriage of both passenger(s) and goods or burden of any description; and has an unladen weight (ULW) not exceeding 2,040 kg; and which either:

(a) is so constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine, is, or by the use of the appropriate controls can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle; or

(b) ..."

The ULW < 2040 kg may count out some 130s, though.

Thats a very interesting link and further clarifies the position.

In theory then you could test a 110 as a van or a car?

I think I will therefore continue to pay £50 for a van test as opposed to £40 for a car test as then i can tax it as a van for £180 / year, and not worry about car tax going through the roof.