Broken chestnut stem.

Rupe

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was higher up it would only be able to lower the stem into the other tree. I set it as low as I could so that it would still have liftign affect, in fact the angle of the ropes to the fallen stem were near 90 so the liftign effect is maximum. Any higher and the DWT would be pulling the stem back towards the base of the tree which I didn't want.

The limiting factor I guess was the height I could fix the ropes in the upright section which was very unstable. Anyway as it was I could cut down the fallen stem much further until I got as far as the DWT set up, then lower the rest. ANy higher and there would be more to lower, if that makes sense?

• 2 months later...
Yeah, not too bad. Got called out to it so not sure what to expect but easy enough. Everything stayed on site so not a full clear up, all chipped and logged in a bit of a long day but no worries.

Tricky job Rupe, well done:thumbup1:

No crane access there?

Yes for a small one, but why bother with a crane? The customer nearly cried at the cost anyway, farmers!!!

Also, was v short notice, we came the day after he called so no pre-assessment or time to book a crane. But since I have virtually never used one its never my first thought, more of a challenge to do it with the kit you have.

Yes for a small one, but why bother with a crane? The customer nearly cried at the cost anyway, farmers!!!

Also, was v short notice, we came the day after he called so no pre-assessment or time to book a crane.

Tight farmers and short notice, fair enough....but personally speaking a 10 ton crane would have still been the first option to come to mind. On a job like that its the difference between spending a full day or taking two hours with a lot less effort and risk, with the latter option giving you the rest of the day to do something else....with or without the crane!

There is a popular misconception that cranes are only cost effective on large trees, not true at all. You can knock off several smaller jobs in a day while cutting down on so much of the manual labour.

But since I have virtually never used one its never my first thought, more of a challenge to do it with the kit you have

Rupe, if you are regularly raising limbs and logs with your GRCS then the transition truly won’t be that difficult....and once you get a taste there’s no going back.

There is a popular misconception that cranes are only cost effective on large trees, not true at all. You can knock off several smaller jobs in a day while cutting down on so much of the manual labour.

Reg,

from my experience to use cranes effectively and efficiently you have to be working with a very good crane operator frequently.

my last crane removal was 9 years ago with a company that used them for any big tree removal where access and large work areas would allow. It was excellent to see the tree coming down in big pieces and being planted right behind the chipper or right next to the road for the log truck.

However, I work for myself these days and the idea of bringing in a crane with an operator unfamiliar to treework does not fill me with confidence which is why I've avoided using a crane for the last 9 years opting instead for staightforward rigging.....which I know is slow, but better the devil you know and all that.

The only way I could get seriously back into doing crane work again was if I started on small trees and worked my way back up to bigger trees, but this all depends of being able to use the same crane operator and company each time....which, although not impossible...is difficult to find - as some crane operators get placed on big construction projects for months on end, so you'd get one operator out for two or three removals then never see him again, so having to start from scratch with a new operator every time is gonna be difficult.

Your crane removals in the Manchester area? how many different crane operators and companies have you dealt with over the years?