The 70's thread

Lee Winger

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep,, 1976 was a really big snow in the States.

I remember my sister and I going out early in the morning and shoveling folks driveways for an entire day and coming home with around $70 each...

Now if it snows hard, just wait a day and it'll turn to slush and rain-- then snow again, only to repeat the cycle all over again..

I hate Ohio...

what would they do now if we had proper winters these days! anyone remember proper winters?

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=bg&id=1625

I remember that winter well. Seven years old living in a village in Staffordshire. Walking through snow with my wellies chaffing my legs because we had to wear shorts at school. Freezing at school because heating was poor (no sending home in them days), and then returning home and going to bed early in the dark due to the power going down every night!

However, give me a hard winter any day.:001_smile:

I wonder how people would cope with a winter like that nowerdays. With the majority relying on electricity to heat their homes, majority of drivers never having driven in snow, and few people work or shop near to their homes. A recipe for chaos:scared1:

Maybe a good idea for a new thread?

I remember that winter well. Seven years old living in a village in Staffordshire. Walking through snow with my wellies chaffing my legs because we had to wear shorts at school. Freezing at school because heating was poor (no sending home in them days), and then returning home and going to bed early in the dark due to the power going down every night!

However, give me a hard winter any day.:001_smile:

I wonder how people would cope with a winter like that nowerdays. With the majority relying on electricity to heat their homes, majority of drivers never having driven in snow, and few people work or shop near to their homes. A recipe for chaos:scared1:

Maybe a good idea for a new thread?

ah yes the 70's...... electricity... marvellous, except during the 3 day weeks, no power in the evening. No that it mattered too much cos there was only a couple of channels on the tv, which was black and White, cos we couldnt afford a colour licence.

And yes shorts for school, and the wellies, and the bitter cold with hail and sleet slamming into your legs, get to school to sit in a freezing prefab which the windows were smashed out. The snow in drifts completely blocking you in, freezng the pipes on the house, so had to light the big fires in the house to get some sort of heat going. Ice on the ceilings and the frosty glaze on the windows, a thing of the past with the double glazng and central heating. Chopping sticks for the fires in the near dark after school, if not the Rayburn wouldnt be hot enough for cooking on. Yeah they were the good old ol days alright, thank goodness times have changed.

ah yes the 70's...... electricity... marvellous, except during the 3 day weeks, no power in the evening. No that it mattered too much cos there was only a couple of channels on the tv, which was black and White, cos we couldnt afford a colour licence.

And yes shorts for school, and the wellies, and the bitter cold with hail and sleet slamming into your legs, get to school to sit in a freezing prefab which the windows were smashed out. The snow in drifts completely blocking you in, freezng the pipes on the house, so had to light the big fires in the house to get some sort of heat going. Ice on the ceilings and the frosty glaze on the windows, a thing of the past with the double glazng and central heating. Chopping sticks for the fires in the near dark after school, if not the Rayburn wouldnt be hot enough for cooking on. Yeah they were the good old ol days alright, thank goodness times have changed.

I'd swap those days for now anyday.......:001_cool: