log splitter strength

gibbons

I had a friend make one from an old JCB RAM goes through everything! I find if you put Elm on its side and only put half the blade on the wood it splits even when the grain is twisted. It runs off the hydraulics on a tractor and it hasn't failed. Warning i tend to split old dry wood in long lengths and then put them through circ saw since i got put on my arse by an elm ring which was cut into 10 inch, made a mess split my lip:) have fun!

I use a Thor 13T petrol engine splitter. Have been doing a lot of English elm (dead and left standing for about 6-8 years) without any problem - splitting rings up to 20" diameter and 18" thick. Elm can still be really stringy and awkward to split but haven't had any problems with it.

Also used it on some old rings of very well seasoned tropical hardwood. The client runs a reclamation yard and got these as part of a bigger job - been left lying around for a few years as they couldn't find anyone prepared to split it. Had to use a forklift to put them under the splitter but we got through them all. I think it's a wood called Ekki - but may be wrong. Will try putting some pics up in a new thread!

It's all to do with the internal diameter of the ram and the working pressure.

Work out the area of the ram plunger in square inches. (3.147 times radius squared)

Find out the working pressure in psi usually 3000, times that by the area. Should now have have the amount of pounds force, divide that by 2.2 to convert to KG. Divide that 1000 and you have the amount of metric tonnes of force.

Rule of thumb.

4.0" Ram gives you 20 Tonne

4.5" Ram gives you 25 Tonne

5.0" Ram gives you 31 Tonne

Flow rate only really gives you an indiction of how quick the ram will move. 13gpm or 60 litres pm is about right for log splitters. Any lesser flow and the ram will move slower. It will still split, as the pressure is there, but not as quick as expected

Early David Brown tractors are notorious for poor flow rates. Also having an unrestricted return to the tank can help speed the flow rate.

20 tonnes is plenty for general splitting, just check the internal diameter of the ram.

Wallenstein WX Series starts at 20 tonne and goes up to 31tonne.

Andrew, I was reading up about the Wallensteins, they look like a good buy, its worth pointing out that the flow requirement for the 300 series is 49 litres per minute (correct me if I m wrong).

Most tractors will be able for that, I have an MF250 which gives out 53 l/m., but my MF135 only gives 18 l/m., I have seen a few grey fergie and 35 owners etc., selling log splitters on ebay, as they havent looked into flow requirements prior to purchase.

Tractor data.com is usually a good source to find out the flow rates for most tractors.