New Technique for Hazard Tree Removal.

RopeKnight

not suggesting this is all crap, I know their is much to be learnt from this method, but as for making a tree safer to dismantle, in all my 23/4 years of doing much of the stuff that most walked away from, I have never found more than half a dozen that wheere THAT iffy and those that where THAT iffy was dead and rotten as sin.

There is VERY rarely a tree alive I wouldnt climb nor rig its all about how you do it, and working within safe peramiters for the tree on the day.

your method has little use in comercial arboriculture, nor forestry where timber is of value, dessication will produce rapid activity within the endophytic communities present in wood volumes.

and if you was to try this technique on a chestnut with good endophytic colonisations of pluerotus ostreatus which is common in chestnuts you would find when you returned to section your tree it had become rapidly and dangerously embrittled

most arbs i know would rather work a living tree than a dead one.

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes instead of pruning off a limb one could perform the stem trace and let nature take its course. When and Where ever it is appropriate.

Thanks I had not looked at it that way.:001_smile:

I have been practicing stem tracing to control growth, water sprouting and to encourage adventitious growth on tree stems and limbs.

What it does is tie up energy, reduces translocation of material and with timing concentrates hormones released at bud break and onset of growth.

Crown maintenance yes.

It works. Similar techniques are applied to Bonsai.

I learned this practice as a Horticulturist for use on Fruit trees, Training young trees and Floriculture.

Sorry but I made that comment in jest. I would have to agree with the others that don't think much of this method. I can't think of a single job I look back to and wish I'd done this instead.

Damaging stems as part of veteranisation is something I am very interested in though. I would love to se someones study into this.

I think this method has a great future in the mimicking of natural retrenching of valuable trees within ssi sites for one thing

This is something thats been lurking in the back of my mind for years. Complete ring barking would cause the limb to die back too quickly. I'd love to ring bark 50-75% in 3 or 4 cuts leaving intact bark between each one. Ya get me?

This is something thats been lurking in the back of my mind for years. Complete ring barking would cause the limb to die back too quickly. I'd love to ring bark 50-75% in 3 or 4 cuts leaving intact bark between each one. Ya get me?

i couldnt agree more my man, i might even suggest a few sink cuts inline with grain as apposed to the ring barking. i think this method might be a good answer for trees that have suffered grazing damage and root dysfunction.

i couldnt agree more my man, i might even suggest a few sink cuts inline with grain as apposed to the ring barking. i think this method might be a good answer for trees that have suffered grazing damage and root dysfunction.

And maybe encourage a few dormant buds too. Oh yes, Oh yes I'm getting excited!