The Big Forestry Sell-Off... Good or bad...Thoughts

Andy Collins

What always makes me chuckle is that in the news, they show pictures of beautiful native broadleaf woodland, to evoke the strongest feeling of disgust in Joe public. I'm not sure that they would feel the same if it were a picture of straggly windblown sitka!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see some numbers on the FC's efficiency as a commercial forestry manager. The '30p/family/year' figure sounds trivial, but that's net of timber income and I've no idea how much the commission net from managing 100Ha. of Sitka compared to UPM, or Scottish Woodlands, or any given estate owner. Ownership as such doesn't bother me (well it couldn't logically as I own a bit of woodland) and the access scare stories are clearly hyped up.

The other thing I wonder about is the FC's research / laboratory capabilities, which seem to be particularly busy at the moment for obvious reasons: is this funded entirely out of timber income or is there direct DEFRA cash?

I dont know what all the hype is about. Forestry Commission in Scotland has been selling off land for years. Just looked at their website and they currently have 5764 hectares for sale most of which is under offer so the buyers are out there. I know they have different right to roam laws in Scotland but the land is still being transferred into private ownership.

hi andy.. we recently bought 12 acres off forestry comission.. only because its right next door to our farm and cos it was very cheap as only real access to it is through our land so no one else could access it other than through a narrow bridle path... the timber is ready to harvest but can only be thinned due to plannin regs and can never be clear felled, theres foot paths runnin through it already so dont think it'l make much diff who owns it...

I'd like to see some numbers on the FC's efficiency as a commercial forestry manager. The '30p/family/year' figure sounds trivial, but that's net of timber income and I've no idea how much the commission net from managing 100Ha. of Sitka compared to UPM, or Scottish Woodlands, or any given estate owner. Ownership as such doesn't bother me (well it couldn't logically as I own a bit of woodland) and the access scare stories are clearly hyped up.

The other thing I wonder about is the FC's research / laboratory capabilities, which seem to be particularly busy at the moment for obvious reasons: is this funded entirely out of timber income or is there direct DEFRA cash?

Yes I would love to see these figures also, 30p a year is trivial yet I am under the impression that the FC will be expected to continue a lot of its work but without the subsidy of selling timber, surely this will cost more. I know that I have had much more value for money from the FC than they could ever have from me.

I also have no axe to grind on woodland ownership (I manage a woodland bought from local authority) and the british government have proved time after time they can't manage any industry proftably (any party) but selling all the stock in the shop is surely a bad move if you can't afford to buy new stock to replace it?

From all the hype of the press you would think that the private woodlands are a small part of the english countryside and the Forestry commission is the major player. This is certainly not the case from the Forestry commissions own figures the commission owns 199k hectares whereas private woodland is 931k hectares.

Could be a smart move by the government selling off woodland while it still has value. If foresters fail to halt the spread of disease in the south then the forests could suddenly become a very large liability.

Forgive my ignorance, but what disease is it that is spreading north? I've heard of this before, just not heard what disease it is, and it's potential ramifications.

Jonathan

From all the hype of the press you would think that the private woodlands are a small part of the english countryside and the Forestry commission is the major player. This is certainly not the case from the Forestry commissions own figures the commission owns 199k hectares whereas private woodland is 931k hectares.

Well said. I think guys should see the wider picture here, there could be a lot of work coming up for some of the smaller firms have that never had a look in before.

Forgive my ignorance, but what disease is it that is spreading north? I've heard of this before, just not heard what disease it is, and it's potential ramifications.

Jonathan

Have a look on the forestry commissions site under diseases and it has an excellent overview of the current diseases foresters should be on the look out for. The newest concern is with Phytophthora Ramorum and again the forestry commission website is excellent in detailing the licence arrangements in place to try and control this outbreak.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/forestry.nsf/byunique/wcas-4z5jll

Edited by renewablejohn