The Big Forestry Sell-Off... Good or bad...Thoughts

Andy Collins

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its a bad idea, as it potencialy means that private owners will reduce public access ect...... also being privitised could mean that more woodlands are clear felled to make way for housing ect.....just my opinion on it though.

I think it's more bad than good. Public access to woodlands is vital and some people won't want that after buying a load of acres (If i had the cash i would buy some and make it better for people to wonder around and explore).

There are so many other ways the government could save money. What a shame.

Its easy for people to assume the worst when FC's land is being sold off to an unknown private charitable trust, especially when the news gear everything to sound bad. Bad news sells.

It's equally plausible that the land could be sold off to good-as-gold private organisations such as the National Trust (maybe not them, but people with similar intentions)

All being blown completly out of proportion. I don't agree with the 'sell-off' as it is just the government making a quick buck, as opposed to managing the forests which will always have income coming in off the land. It is in the private landowners intrest (and they can get grants for) providing access for the public. There are also a vast number of miles (God knows how many) of FC land that has public bridleways/footpaths ect which will be obviously be open anyway. Yes some carparks will be shut, yes some access will be restricted, but I think it will be a small proportion. Remember you will only hear on the news the few that will be locked shut and closed for good, not the most that will stay open.

Thats just a small bit of what I think. Wait and see.....!