Stihl 024 or 026

tony-d

Good evening forum,

i have seen the above saws on eb@y and was wondering which would be the better saw. I have limited experience of saws and for the past 2 years have been using a cheap and cheerful ryobi petrol saw, its now time i think to move up to a better saw. I mainly cut logs up for the fireplace and the odd small tree to larger than 30 cm in diameter as and when i get offered it for free.

I would appreciate a true opinion please as i would like to purchase one in the next few days.

I have also been offered a faulty stihl 039 through a friend which runs but after about 15 mins or so its stalls and will not start. My friend has told me it may need piston and cylinder doing on it. I am not keen to go to big a saw as this one but the price was attractive hence i ask is it worth considering??

any info would be fantastic

i would go for the 026 personally, i run the ms260 which is the newer version of this. Good saws light and ample power for most tasks and sounds like it should fit the bill nicely for what you want.....

the 024 imo doesn't compare to the 026 i've had one and wasn't keen, didn't have enough umph

as for the 039, i wouldn't bother, p&c kit expensive and saw heavy for not much output.... i had the 390 it was ok but no comparisson to a 044 etc, theyre more of a landscaping saw

Hi Tony welcome to the forum! The 024 has around 42cc's and the 026 has around 50. The extra cc's make quite a difference and will make your task alot easier! I have owned a 260 before and it was fantastic with a 16" bar. Both saws will cater for your needs, but the 026 will do it a bit better and quicker. Keep an eye out on the price though, they normally go for a fair bit with it being a Stihl. Have a look in the trading place on here spudulike has a spanking 350 for sale for £220 i do believe. Also has a 266.

Thank you everyone for quick and clear responses much appreciated, i had spotted this one on eb@y

STIHL MS026 MS260 18" Chainsaw TOP WORKING on eBay (end time 30-Jan-11 16:35:50 GMT)

seems a nice saw???

Yeah it looks nice tony. Have you considered a husky?

husqvarna chainsaw on eBay (end time 28-Jan-11 11:34:48 GMT)

Hi

well i will consider pretty much any saw providing it ticks all my boxes. I have been reading up on a husky 262 everybody seems to go mad about them, i will look into husky too. i will need to look at good second hand saws as i can justify the price of a new saw foe what i need it for. I am worried about eb@y as i have read some horrible stories on people that have purchased saws on there and then they spend fortunes on getting them sorted and working correctly.

Stihl 026 is the better saw or the later MS260 - brother has one and loves it, the muffler looks a bit restrictive and reckon opening it up a little would make it fly:thumbup:

16" bar is good - 18" is a bit long for this size saw.

If you are serious about the one on ebay, ask the seller how old the sprocket is, had many saws of ebay and very few people change them - new one £20 or fitted £40-£45!

Spud

Good evening forum,

i have seen the above saws on eb@y and was wondering which would be the better saw. I have limited experience of saws and for the past 2 years have been using a cheap and cheerful ryobi petrol saw, its now time i think to move up to a better saw. I mainly cut logs up for the fireplace and the odd small tree to larger than 30 cm in diameter as and when i get offered it for free.

I would appreciate a true opinion please as i would like to purchase one in the next few days.

I have also been offered a faulty stihl 039 through a friend which runs but after about 15 mins or so its stalls and will not start. My friend has told me it may need piston and cylinder doing on it. I am not keen to go to big a saw as this one but the price was attractive hence i ask is it worth considering??

any info would be fantastic

026 mate (but look into the ms260 as there not as old)