Pest Control

BTS

Like a lot of member in here i like my shooting, has anyone decided to do this as part of there service ie (pest control) squirrel etc not talking about bed bugs etc. If so what sort of rates do you charge and do you get much work. Its a past time i really enjoy and wouldn,t mind having it as a sideline with the business cheers for your thought.

Hi , not really so much as a side line to my business but i do a days rabbit gassing once a week (winter only) for a farm owned by my aunt and uncle ( was asked to do it beings i do all the shooting). pays not great , works out to nearly a hundred quid a day for 9 hours but i enjoy it as i take my rifle or shotgun and do a bit of shooting and have stove in my truck for tea and soup and am totally left alone all day. pure peace:thumbup:

I would say if you can make a living from it as a sideline then go for it, a change is as good as a rest don`t they say.

My dad and i contract ourselves out to landowners. We keep a tally of what we kill on the various farms/estates. If its game species (rabbit, squirrel, pigeon,etc) we ask the landowner if he would like them. We normally charge £1/Rabbit and 75p/squirrel/pigeon. Mainly to cover round costs

If i had been charging a £1 for every rabbit i`d shot i would have retired by now ! Good on ya if you can get it but you never would round here !

If i had been charging a £1 for every rabbit i`d shot i would have retired by now ! Good on ya if you can get it but you never would round here !

LOL. We shot on 4 farms last year and our final tally was somehwere around 2500 from the 4. That money went on a new CO2 .22 air rifle and a compressor. We over ran a local pub with fresh rabbit as we used to go out each evening and shoot until it went dark then for another hour after dark (or how long the torch battery would last). The best we ever had was 42 out of one field in an evening (mostly youngsters tho).

You can get between £1-£2 for a head shot rabbit round here at the butchers. No one would pay you to do pest control though.

Ah right yeah butchers do pay not bad money for them but the farmers wouldn`t , you might get the odd pat on the back if your really lucky.

I think the butchers pay about 80pence now for a clean killed rabbit.

LOL. We shot on 4 farms last year and our final tally was somehwere around 2500 from the 4. That money went on a new CO2 .22 air rifle and a compressor. We over ran a local pub with fresh rabbit as we used to go out each evening and shoot until it went dark then for another hour after dark (or how long the torch battery would last). The best we ever had was 42 out of one field in an evening (mostly youngsters tho).

Nice one thats good going ! wish i could make some good money doing one of my hobbies !

dangrous ground insurace wise. i doubt your regular shooting insurance or public liability would cover you profesionaly. i know mine dont and pestconrol insuranse profesionaly (ie. that you charge for) is a packet if you dont have qualifications ie dsc's etc.

thats what i found when i looked into it a couple of years back.

i get arrond that by offering to do it verbaly for free as long as i can sell the rabbits, pidgeons etc. thats only cos i like my shooting tho as even at a time like now when rabits are fetching 1.20p after you factor in fuel, ammo etc. etc. you dont make a lot.