Do all professional chainsaw users think joe public users are fools?

egnsean

i dont mean to come over as arrogant and appolagise if i do, but the thing is people CAN buy saws from B&Q ect, they will never pay for the correct training prob due to cost so is it not better to give them good advice rather than insults, NOT talking about the majority of arbtalk members?

yeah your right it is best to give good advice rather than insult. some of the stuff that has been said to you would anoy me to. (such as videoing you having an accident etc.)

mebe if you ask a less broad question, such as how to avoid kickback or stance or maintenance or whatever. you will get more constructive answears.

if its advice your wanting this is the place!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as above, so do i

my point is merely as a general rule the more training youve got the more safe you are. the same goes for experience. put the two together and you have a safer operator IN THEORY.

ive done some dangerous stuff in my time (even with training) and have learnt from it. my point is that without the training you are more likley to have a serious accident.

it was more the general retaliation that put my back up: of course we dont think our job is the most dangerous but it is up there.

not wanting to offend anyone. apologise if i have.

sorry if any offence taken i by no means think your job isnt dangerous it prob one of the most dangerous jobs around and you have my full respect for your skill and dedication, its just the odd one who demeans the people like myself who just cut a bit off firewood without training, i for one would not have the guts to do your job and am not afraid to admit it!!

how so? genuinely interested.

i can think of a few exceptions but generaly i stanb by that.

I guess its because training is a relatively new thing.

The most skilled guys I have worked with have been doing the job from before there were tickets.

Also those who are good at there job tend to be too busy doing it to go on more courses.

I remember a guy who worked for fountains, he had the old units (like me) the H&S guy on site was not happy that he did not have the new units. He then proceeded to rig down the biggest nastiest pop down over the power lines, the H&S guy soon shut up.

sorry if any offence taken i by no means think your job isnt dangerous it prob one of the most dangerous jobs

no ofence taken.

i think this is one of the things that cant realy be solved because everyone has a different veiw.

i may have a couloured opinion because i know 2 extremely unsafe untrained operators but on the same score my old boss was qualified up to the eyeballs and 20 yrs experience and was still unsafe!

can be argued both ways

at end of the day joe blogs with b&q saw just cutting odd firewood is never going to be able to justify the cost of training.

I remember a guy who worked for fountains, he had the old units (like me) the H&S guy on site was not happy that he did not have the new units. He then proceeded to rig down the biggest nastiest pop down over the power lines, the H&S guy soon shut up.

yeah, would have loved to have seen that, h&s speechless.

thats why i said the combination of both is good

my workmate is in same position and he must be the safest ive seen.

when the heats on i would always defer to him for the technical ability and experience.

said my peice

gunna be my last post on this thread cos i seem to have hogged it.

yeah, would have loved to have seen that, h&s speechless.

thats why i said the combination of both is good

my workmate is in same position and he must be the safest ive seen.

when the heats on i would always defer to him for the technical ability and experience.

said my peice

gunna be my last post on this thread cos i seem to have hogged it.

no you ant hogged it your imput very valuable and wanted:thumbup:

For those who got my comment wrong:

1. What I've really meant was that 'well done for surviving' the initial learning process. Wearing no PPE and having no supervision whatsoever while using the saw for the first few times sounds pretty damn dangerous to me. But people do lods of other dangerous things..hence...

2. I couldn't care less what you do to yourself. You asked for our opinion - I gave you mine.

I personally wouldn't dare trying to use the chainsaw with no experienced people around purely because I'm a wimp and value my life far too much.

All in all, I think you don't really need any paper to prove that you know what you are doing but what you do need is someone experienced around while you learn. Sometimes it's simply not worth learning from your mistakes...:001_smile:

i dont see them as fools, i mean there are cutters and climber who are far better than me, but havnt half the qualifications or nptc tickets i have. but they do their job well. what i do tihnk is mad is that someone with no tickets can wak into a chainsaw shop (if they desire this is) and buy a big saw like and 880 with a four foot bar without question from the seller. i know its down to the shop to give advice and talk him into getting a smaller saw, but if they person buying decides they want it there is nothing stopping them from buing it.