shiney new 346xp canon carver bar

MarshallArb

just baught a 346xp with a canon carver bar which im itching to try out.

question is my old 346 which i have now shelved for spares used to be my backup climbing saw (if my 200t was ever down) and am just wondering if there is a normal bar out there that i can run a 1/4 chain on because striping off the clutch and sprocket every time i need to use it with a normal bar will be a bit anoying.

can find pleanty of stihl fitment not husqvana.

i know it will not be ideal running this saw on standard bar and 1/4 chain but it will only be cfor 200t backup and light duties as i have a 357xp which is my main thinning/ground saw.

would use it with the cannon carver bar but have been told that they would wear quickly trough overheating the tip.

Forgive my ignorance, but won't the 346 be a little too powerful for the NK setup? That would be super quick in the cut! lol. Also wouldn't fancy trying to carve with a 346 anyway... i would want something with about 5cc's... but then again i have never done it so don't really know much! haha. I would balls it up straight away!

That saws prob a bit too powerful for carving..

All the stihl, cannon and oregon carving bars have super hard tips so you won't damage them by overheating. Also you'll be running the chain slacker which also helps.

Carving bars have generic bar mounting which is posh for saying they fit most small chainsaws be it Stihl or Husqv etc

only just starting out. dont know much about it.

got the 346 on special offer it was a good buy.

tavistock chainsaws recomended the fitment im running (cannon dime tip bar, 1/4 chain). they recomended the 346 as a carving saw due to the high chainspeed as a good thing. they know a fair bit about it. was recomended to go to them by one of the carvers at apf.

from the research ive done the only sprocket that you can get in 1/4 for a husky is for the xp range (new rim) which is why i chose a 346 as its smaller in size than other xp. if i could have sourced a sprocket for a non-pro, smaller husqvana i would.

without wanting to start off a make war, i did not want another stihl saw after my last one was so bad. like i said dont want to start an argument, this is just a personal choice.

im sure you will all understand saws have to pay there way and that carving is a luxury (for me as a non pro carver) and the saw has to fulfill 2 roles.

hope that clears up why im running what seems odd to some of you.

will keep you informed on the snapping of chains etc.

thanks for the info

i think il buy one of cannons arborist carver bar for when im using it for general work.