How to get into the forestry industry?

Stu

FCA website is always a good place to find contacts. Windblown trees can be difficult course to find/get onto. I had to go up to Yorkshire to do mine after 4 years of waiting. I needed it to work on some FC sites but managed to get CS34/35 on the same course. If your lucky you can do CS32/34 combined.

I did cutting wood for chipping at £3 a tonne. It was hard crappy work. I perfer forwarding nowerdays.

The harvester forward courses are very expensive makes a CS30/31 course look cheap. Try Bartony college for that.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Stu,

Tbh its not easy to get into but if youre determined then you will find a way in, machinery has taken a lot of the work away from saws but there will always be work for a good man on a saw.

Forestry and arb. work are poles apart and i guess you try both to see which suits you best, the money for good cutters now far exceeds that of groundworkers if you are good at your job.

Brushcutter, what year were you cutting chip at 3 quid a tonne? I started in the industry in the mid-70s and recall guys getting more than that then.

Thanks brush cutter il contact bartony and see how much it is.

Does anybody know of any funding to help with courses like FMOC and others?

Cheers

A short course approximately £1500 per week + £150 skills check first. Could take up to 2 weeks to get the certificate and after that there is still a lot to learn in the workplace.

Not sure about funding.

Woww! brushcutter Fmoc training does make cs31 look cheap lol:laugh1: i think its something to build up to though i still wanna do it, do u do much commercial forestry now?

i was thinking about maybe in the future do abit abroad like in norway somewhere like that once im more skilled.

do u wrk for the national trust oddbird? where abouts is that?

I do. I'm a volunteer ranger there. One of their foresters will me leaving next month or so. It's in Hertfordshire. Beautiful place, loads of various equipment, nice team, poo money..but great start! Keep an eye on their site for the vacancy coming up soon if you are interested.

Woww! brushcutter Fmoc training does make cs31 look cheap lol:laugh1: i think its something to build up to though i still wanna do it, do u do much commercial forestry now?

i was thinking about maybe in the future do abit abroad like in norway somewhere like that once im more skilled.

Yea its a truely shocking amount of money. Whats worse is that you need lots of units. I only have tractor based stuff. if i want to use proper forwarders/harvesters i have to do more modules. Tend to do more woodland management now rather than full blown forestry peice work cutting. I too am working towards going to work in Norway/Sweden driving forwarders.