rescue kits

RobRainford

does anybody have a dedicated resue kit? im asking because im thinking of getting the bits together for my own, including a rope and harness, i have a spare rope and have found a few cheap harnesses that would be ok.

i have seen stein have a kit out for £80, but was thinking of buying similar parts to equip it for a few methods of rescue.

What do you think?

Guest Hairy Arborist

The guide to good climbing practice suggests it is a good idea for a rescue'er to use their own kit as they will be farmiliar with it, that said we do have a 'rescue bag' which is a large chalk bag with some 3-ways on a quick draw sling, a couple of prussics with 3-ways, a twin pulley with a 3-way & webbing sling & 3-way (for a re-direct), a rope knife, a whistle, a large wound dressing & some trauma gauze. Just grab the bag allong with your own kit & you have everything u need. We also have a pole rescue kit with a adjustable anchor & a reverso. My loler inspector, mike from loleruk, put them 2gether for me, cheers mike!

The kit would be a harness split tail or prussic and a few carabiners. Then with a cutaway strap for a harness to harness connection. It would be basic kit.

It would be for if I had a guy on the ground who could climb but has no kit either with him or at all.

It's an idea I've thought about and I'll try and keep to it. Needs funding first though!

I don't really see the point in supplying the gear yourself tbh, unless your employing people..... I'd just specify that a groundsman or climber needed to bring their equipment along with them. Only thing that you might come unstuck on is a long rope. I recently grounded on a huge hungarian beech and the rope I took wasn't long enough, so we had to install it as a single line, which would still work fine.

R

I have a kit, in a big red shiny bag with rescue written on it. Its more for show really, we hang it on the outside of the truck when doing street trees, but actually when theres two climbers and one is grounding, then he woul dhave his kit there anyway.

Its all there in the bag though, and gets lolered etc. But its just old gear that is still usuable. I dont see the point of havign new kit sitting in a bag, buy yourself a new harness when your old one has six months left in it and shove the old one in the rescue kit. Same with rope etc.

my climbing bag has 2 of everything that is needed for the job, on anything that isnt a horrible conny job i will just install the rope and attach the harness at the bottom ready to go if needed, once i get onto just a pole, i choker my climbing line, install my figure 8(cheers John Shutler) job done.

Plan your climb as if it might go wrong and how would you get down, takes a bit longer but safer.:thumbup1:

I had rescue kits in every lorry never got used and now in store cant bring myself to throw them the belts are like new.

I liked the idea and they where out on site all the time and i even went as far as the groundsman having to wear the belt and having a line in the tree on bigger trees.

If you can have two climbers then you dont need to as long as the kit is not locked away in the lorry with the keys in the climbers pocket has to be out and ready just in case.