Fish Fight

evergreen

My ex was seriously into marine biology oceanography etc and it really opened my eyes to the destruction fo the oceans. unfortyunatley its out of sight and out of mind for most but theres alot of bad stuff going onthat we will pay for later, throwing away by catch is the least of our worries, Coral bleaching from rising sea temperatures, the vast damage done tot he sea bed and reefs etc from trawling, polution of coastal waters from fish farming, loss of mangrove regions, the savage dolphin slaughter that goe son every year in Taighi (sp?) etc etc...bad times. Whats crazy is they have to throw alot of by catch back by law!! and none of it lives as their swim bladders ar eoften destroyed form being brought up so fast, or just hanging about out of water for so long.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not as thick skinned as some of you guys and girls and find that trying to post word perfect so as not to be misunderstood is taking the edge of the fun for me, so Im going to give it a miss for a while :thumbup1:

Dont do that mate, I always recognise you and read your posts. Lassie destroys me when I watch it too. I think its important that everyones views are heard, thats what forums are for. Keep up the good work. (PS I love your ears!)

As above don't do that jammy. I've seen a few of jammys post come across. The wrong way to people and from talking to him myself I find him a good lad who's given me some kind words and advice regarding my boys. I can sympathize with what he is saying it may come across as selfish but I don't spend too much of my time watching and reading about stuff what upsets me and I can do nothing about I just like to go about my own life and make the best of what I have.

I think the "Fish Fight" is a great cause, I wonder if the foreign ships that use our waters follow the quota regulations as rigidly as we do. I've been fishing a mile off the coast with a rod, and had 2 lumbering great Spanish trawlers either side of me dragging their nets behind. Yet you hardly see a british trawler. We arent just talking of a few fish here being discarded, but 100's of tons of fish, dead. These fish cant breed and replenish the stocks, its pure waste. If caught, they should be used and sold. As Hugh said the other day, if proportionately the same quantity of lambs were dumped roadside, imagine the outcry!