The whole Chipper Hire thing... etc etc etc

TimberCutterDartmoor

Just wondering about the whole matter of hiring out ones chipper based on following assumptions (true or false):

1) Most tree firms have their own so there is really not that much call for it.

2) Hiring ones machine is crazy since people don't respect it and so put concrete and metal thru it, crucifying ones profit.

3) By having an operative with the machine you can screen what goes in the machine and they get an extra pair of hands, albeit at extra cost.

4) Frankly, the loan of a chipper is pointless without the chip box and chip disposal being included as well; or at least this would be a much better approach.

5) Pricing is tricky since the machine needs care, maintenance and all matter of other complications.

6) Said pricing is often uneconomical for most people; the math just doesn't add up?

Would be very grateful for opinions on this.

An example is a chap I know who hires his tracked Jensen A530T with himself to operate it for £140 a day inc which imo is a storming price??? Used to do it with my own (same machine) but for a lot more than that - perhaps that's why the machine spent too long sitting around and I let it go.

Assume you mean "can't" or "never" ?!

Machines on their own rent for between £80 - £150 ish round here so the operated one for £140 is ace indeed.

Sorry meant cant, thats what I would say his price is the same as hiring a machine. Hope he isn't a member on here or he will be putting his prices up. A lot of people under estimate cost of running machinery. Cant believe JCB operators only charge £25 an hour for a 40K machine.

Or he isnt greedy?

I have met the lad in question, and worked with him. He has his head screwed on, and is happy with his price, and isnt a toatl newbie and works like stink. Personally i think he ought to charge more, but it obviously works for him.

I rent my machine with myself for minimum £200/ day for a 9" vermeer.

Peoples circumstances vary vastly, I have a large house and a wife and four children to support, my wife does not have a job that brings in an income other than the business. I would not be able to compete with some one would lives with their parents or has a wife with a well paid job.

You need to do your market research and find out who you would be competing with and what the going rate is, you can then decide if there is any chance of there being any profit in it for you.

YOu can hire a 6" machine for £89 from brandons and a plant etc, and an operator must be worth at least £120 a day just to stand there shoving sticks into a machine. TBH i wouldnt get involved with chip disposal- let your customer have the headache. If they need you to do the removal too then price for a tipper hire too maybe?

I think for a 6" road tow with operator between £150-£200, then extra for chip disposal

The price varies to take in to account distance from yard and amount of time chipper is running for ie fuel and wear and tear

It has to be a very big job for a chipper to run for 7 hours, also I would not want to clear up old rubbish that has been left on site for weeks it could have any thing mixed in with it