Bit of advice needed pls.

wrd88

Hello all. So have finally come accross the perfect career it would seem. Graft, outdoor work, and climbing. Perfect.

Currently am 22 based in Lancashire, do not hold any Arboriculture qualifictations. Really wish i had done the relevant ND after school, but do not think its feasable to do the ND now...need to earn to eat etc etc.

Anyway i am at a major pivoting point in my life, i am set to go into the Royal Marines in a couple of weeks. I will be at least 26-7 before i could leave, i then would love to become a tree surgeon, however would like some advice on how difficult this move would be at such and age and wether it would be easier/better to start on the path now instead, but due to the current climate would it even be feasable?

If the oppourtunity were to arise now i would take it. But have searched for apprenticeships in my area to no avail, and cant afford at the moment to pay for all the NPTC tickets to make me attractive to potetial employers for any related jobs, and can you even get started with just NPTC tickets?

What would be the best move if i decided to start my tree surgery career now? ...Obtain all relavant NPTC tickets off my own back somehow and approach potential employers looking for work or just experience. Once i manage this then studying a degree or tech cert part time or by distance learning to get myself the proper formal Arboriculture knowledge.

Would this lead to me being a credible professional at the job?

Anyway sorry for the long/mixed up post, and some advice would be much appreciated. :biggrin:

Cheers

I would offer a pair of brash dragging hands to local companies for as low as possible. Enough to live on plus save a bit for nptcs. Afaik employers can get part funding for training of it's a couple of guys. Don't quote me on that but I did my felling tickets with 2 other guys and we got 60% funding through the learning skills council.

Good choice on this career though.

the sasfest thing you could do atm is deffinatley joint the marines, as any way into this industry involves the hard boring end of the work and rubbish pay for a considerable time, unless you take to it well and get out and practice on your own time alot. as Rob said go and help out osme local companies for a price they can't refuse and you'll get an idea of how it all works and if you'll really like it etc etc.

Thanks for the replies. Have sent quite a few enquiries out today for working for min wage trying to get my foot in the door etc, explaining ive every intention of paying for my tickets myself soon as i can afford etc. I have got 5 weeks before i go, lets hope somthing will come up before then. If it doesnt i guess i will be better off going in anyway.:thumbup:

I was in the Army for 16 years and i stumbled into the job when i was looking for a resettlement course to go on when i decided to leave. The forces paid for my tickets and training which was a massive help i can tell you. The time i had in the forces did sorted out my work ethic and showed me alot of things i would never have seen or done if i didn't go in. But i do have to say that i am enjoying this job more than i enjoyed my time within the Army. I started out on this career choice at the ripe old age of 34 and i do have to say that i am fitter now than i was in the forces.

Just a short bit to share my experiance to show that you wouldn't be to old to start if you did decide to join the marines and then come to the job after. Plus if you qualify you get the resettlement grants to pay for your training and assessment fees.

Hope you do sort out what you want to do and good luck with either choice :thumbup1: