Any other losers like me?CS31 not going too well ):

odd_bird

when i did My before we started on trees we tied logs to trees and practiced on them. Wasn't allowed on to trees till we got the hang of it. As most have said the stick method is best for getting the hinge Parell and right direction. imagine balancing a ping ping ball on the end of your bar.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i did My before we started on trees we tied logs to trees and practiced on them. Wasn't allowed on to trees till we got the hang of it. As most have said the stick method is best for getting the hinge Parell and right direction. imagine balancing a ping ping ball on the end of your bar.

Or a wine glass (a nice full one).

When looking at your final cut after the tree is down dont always jump on what you did wrong, what went well? If it got hung up did you have the correct safe procedure in getting it down? Then look at what you will change for the next time. Like what has been previously mentioned make sure all your tools are to hand nothing worse than seeing someone felling then look round to grab the felling lever and realise its at the last tree. Finally i would say dont fell high as this wont be the height your felling at on assessment so wont be of any benefit, also enjoy it your learning something new ready for a new career maybe? It normally starts to get better towards the end of the week too, good luck

I had the same feelings half way through my course I felt useless felled a tree ok then kept trapping the saw I walked away from the tree and spoke to the instrustor and said none of this is sinking in compression tension, gob cut,dog tooth,split level it was like he was speaking another languge but by the end of the week it all made sense

when you pass your driving test your not the best driver far from it but you should get better with practice

chin up it will all be ok:thumbup:

hia odd bird

i just passed mine this monday with no prior experience . i really think you need to stop worrying so much , the more you worry the more you will not think straight . try putting the saw to the tree without it running and look at what you are wanting to do, make sure you are comfy but most of all enjoy it . i bet you come back at the end of the week and say you were worrying about nothing:thumbup:

'If it got hung up did you have the correct safe procedure in getting it down?'

we were just told to leave it for the tractor to deal with it if it gets stubborn.

I think I just came up with the plan! I'm talking a piece of chalk with me tomorrow :001_cool:

When putting the gob in try to visualize what you want it to look like.

CS31 doesn't mean you are brilliant at felling trees, it means you know what you need to do, what to do if it goes wrong and you can do it safely!

Take your time think before you cut, its so easy to rush in without thinking.

Good luck!!

we was hanging trees up and then taking them down so that we knew how to , something else i remembered that was good , if you look down your first cut when you do your second cut you should see shavings jump about at the bottom as you meet it up :thumbup1: hope this makes sense and im not telling you how to suck eggs , like i say i only just passed mine