To HgV or not ????

Albedo

I am hearing that there may be ways to up the tonnage of the truck you can drive on a normal licence, determined by the way you register the vehicle in the first place.

Does this ring any bells.

I want to drive a big Bedford TM 8 ton truck on a normal pre 79 (or whatever the magic date is) licence the way I used to drive Cargos. It would be unplated to start with, I know how to get it plated but not how to be able to use it without an HGV licence.

Any light on the possibilities of this appreciated.

what about down rating the truck to 7.5 tonne

This rings a bell too and could be the way forward. Is 7.5 tonne the limit on a normal licence? I know nothing about what you are allowed to do or not.

Do you have any idea how you do this, chop 500kgs off the back for example:001_smile:

It has an atlas crane on it, but would like to keep that bit:001_smile:

That explains that bit quite nicely David and Sihart..... so if I limit the weight I'm licenced to carry, I'm away without an HGV. I do have to go out for a bit now so please don't think me rude if I don't reply for a couple of hours.

Tommorrow I will look into more detail on the speck of the vehicle and also pursue that lead a bit. Much appreciated also interested in more info on the ag reg route as the name of the game will be tonnage, even though its going abroad, be nice to have it UK legal to start with.

your tm is probably near the 7 ton mark as it stands,which gives you a v small payload.Agricultural vehicles are not supposed to carry a load(i know every one does it in mogs)so if you get a tug by the ministry fully laden,runnin on red and 50 miles from home they will have a field day,its happened to me!!

Agricultural vehicles are not supposed to carry a load(i know every one does it in mogs)so if you get a tug by the ministry fully laden,runnin on red and 50 miles from home they will have a field day,its happened to me!!

The NFU said certain "Agricultural" type vehicles like the Unimog/Fastrac and a couple of additional rare makes that were designed with a load bed for Agricultural/forestry use can carry legally loads. The insurance document I have allows that provided it is a load belonging to me. Distance is legally between sections of land worked by the person who owns the vehicle and the product.:001_rolleyes:

The time you should not use it for considered "haulage" is when doing Tree Surgery work unless roadside. (Not private gardens)

The NFU said certain "Agricultural" type vehicles like the Unimog/Fastrac and a couple of additional rare makes that were designed with a load bed for Agricultural/forestry use can carry legally loads. The insurance document I have allows that provided it is a load belonging to me. Distance is legally between sections of land worked by the person who owns the vehicle and the product.:001_rolleyes:

The time you should not use it for considered "haulage" is when doing Tree Surgery work unless roadside. (Not private gardens)

personally i think it is a massive grey area,dont think even the ministry/police are really sure whats what.