Wood for Log Gasification Boiler

Woody Wood Pecker

Hi all

Quick wood question.

I am looking at getting a wood gasification boiler - seeing the agent that sells them in a couple of months but not looking at getting it installed until 2012.

This is the boiler I'm looking at Eco Angus Wood Burning Boilers - The Boilers - the 'Angus Super'.

One thing that is currently putting me off is whether I can acquire, either free or purchased, the approx 5 tonnes (seasoned weight) of wood that I'll need a year.

I think that I may have found a supply of conifer wood for quite a cheap rate. My 'supply' is off a friend of a friend so not confirmed yet.

Here's my question - would one of these types of boiler be OK to run on softwood only, a mixture of softwood and hardwood or are they hardwood only? The above website states 'all types of wood'. I'll ask the agent when I see him in March but I was hoping someone on here would be able to advise too. My worry is that burning just softwood may 'gum' up the twinwall flue.

Thanks in advance

Gordon

PS

I'll have my wood storage area finished after March this year. I'll be looking for unprocessed wood after this point. If any arborists in the Sheffield area (S10) need to get rid of some wood, PM me and we'll discuss payment.

For what its worth I have been running a 40KW Solarbayer (linked to a 2200litre buffer tank) this past 4 years or so. I burn mostly conifer, & currently working with Lodgepole pine. Her be heating near 4000 sq ft of a 1995 built house, without difficulty, though in fairness an 8KW Morso burns in the living room, which helps, the hall sits at between 18 & 20 degrees.

I would say the wood does need to be DRY, the only problem is I suspect that in out North Atlantic climate it is (i) touch & go getting the timber dry enough and (ii) keeping it dry with our prevalent atmospheric moisture ( when stored in an open fronted shed)

I have yet to build an insulated boiler room, but I then really need some mechanised way of bring the firewood in on rotation for say a week or two to get it up to say 20 deg before burning, this period should also drive a bit of the excess moisture out.

Cheers

M

Thanks for all the answers and advice.

I was thinking of having my wood store in the garden to store the wood during the year and keeping a couple of cubic metres in the garage before using it - the garage is where the boiler is going to be so hopefully the warmer environment will dry the wood further still.

Cheers

G