shingle help

delabodge

hi got a woodmizer and can mill standard stuff no probs, but wondered if any one down south would show me how to mill shingles so i can put some of my cedar I get into use. when I google it,,just get fancy canadian machines built for em.?

any advice welcome,

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an attachment for the lumbermate mills for doing shingles, that worked a bit like the attachments for doing feather edge boards but the other way (if that makes sense?) - If you have a look at the Norwood site (the manufacturer of lumbermate) there should be some info - might be enough to be able to get something similar fabbed up to suit.

Do Woodmizer not make something to fit theirs? They're daft if they don't.

they do make a shingle attachment, there MIGHT be one coming up in the south west shortly, i will inform you of any info:001_smile:

thanks guys,,I have the feather edge attachment, need to make shingles,for top of my log stores,,,,look forward to hearing from you stu,,thanks chris.

Woodmizer make an attatchment for feather edge boards that does shingles aswell. A guy called David Darnell makes a better version for less money.

I had one and the feather edge bit was ok, but doing shingles was a ball ache.

Youve got to cut beams then make blocks then mill them, getting the tapper right and the thickness right was a pain.

It was a lot of money for what it did.. so unless you can earn some money from making them i wouldnt bother IMHO

Woodmizer make an attatchment for feather edge boards that does shingles aswell. A guy called David Darnell makes a better version for less money.

I had one and the feather edge bit was ok, but doing shingles was a ball ache.

Youve got to cut beams then make blocks then mill them, getting the tapper right and the thickness right was a pain.

It was a lot of money for what it did.. so unless you can earn some money from making them i wouldnt bother IMHO

I know dave well, he fitted my new engine, in the past Ive seen blocks sat on woodmizers before but never paid much attention,,,now wish I had,,always the way,,,

chestnut, thanks for the offer but I can cleft shakes myself,,just wanted a faster more economical way of doing it.appreciate the offer though.:thumbup: