Can you recommend a pickup/4x4?

Kat1e

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with butler, disco comercial all the way! yes defenders are geared slightly lower but if your only pulling horses you will find the discovery more than uptothe job. they are easy to mod, parts are cheap and easy to fix yourself and they have heaters, they are comfy and you can carry five people and a bootload of kit. test drive one! you wont be dissapointed :)

Although 4000kg is 500kg over weight, a defender will pi ss that. I reckon i am barely ever under 6.5-7 ton with chip box full and towing the vermeer, and I have been on the weighbridge at the quarry at over 8 ton many an occasion. No bother. Touch sluggish up the steeper hills, but you dont buy a defender for speed lol!

I am sure its better on a defender but a pick up with part time 4x4 ? . 8 tonne may work for you but what happens when someone cuts you up and cross the road and wipe out an inocent family. I have driven many landrovers approaching the legal limit and none felt great. A landcruiser will handle heavy towing much better than all those flimsey donuts they stick under the defender.

Kat1e, here's a vid of what my landy will do all day every day, i daren't say what it carries and tows but they are the mutts for what you asked for. you should find a defender in your price range, i'd go for a 110 for towing and carrying as they are comfier and don't bounce as much as the 90's, i might be biased but there's a good reason:001_cool: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvrL9bgeDs]YouTube - landy mud bath[/ame]

Edited by armchairarborist
sbelling misnake

I have to agree with butler, disco comercial all the way! yes defenders are geared slightly lower but if your only pulling horses you will find the discovery more than uptothe job. they are easy to mod, parts are cheap and easy to fix yourself and they have heaters, they are comfy and you can carry five people and a bootload of kit. test drive one! you wont be dissapointed :)

The discovery are also half the price second hand and twice the value. You get something that was reasonably well designed in 1980 rather than something badly designed in 1950. But if you need something to carry 2 tonne across rough terrain and you are prepared to give up your weekends defender all the way :laugh1:

The 7 series with a bucket on a trailer and full tank of fuelwill be pushing

4000kg too much for a defender let alone a little pick up :thumbdown:

Sorry ours is a 5 series skidsteer. ( even thats heavy with fluid weight).

A good friend of mine who is a digger driver has a landcruiser ( v reg) but top of the range with alot of bells and whistles. i took it to leeds to collect a 15m self propelled mewp (wouldnt know weight 3t ish with trailer?) and was very comfy, didnt really notice the journey where as in ranger or transit,i would of got out with back ache.

is there a certain disco commercial to avoid- the farmer at yard has a 110 defender td5 05 reg that had alot of engine issues when it hit 60k.

:confused1:

Sorry ours is a 5 series skidsteer. ( even thats heavy with fluid weight).

A good friend of mine who is a digger driver has a landcruiser ( v reg) but top of the range with alot of bells and whistles. i took it to leeds to collect a 15m self propelled mewp (wouldnt know weight 3t ish with trailer?) and was very comfy, didnt really notice the journey where as in ranger or transit,i would of got out with back ache.

is there a certain disco commercial to avoid- the farmer at yard has a 110 defender td5 05 reg that had alot of engine issues when it hit 60k.

:confused1:

Personally i would go with the 200tdi they are less refined than the 300tdi but they pull a tractor and they are easy enough to get your hands on fairly cheap leaving you money in the piggy bank to to sort out any little niggles.if you want to put a snorkel and breather kit on and drive through water there is very little in the way of electrics to kill and fault finding is a very basic process which when towing and using off road is a good thing :thumbup: only things to watch ou for is rot on the sills inner wings and boot floor and the gear box can be like a bowl of soup but you can get a recon fitted round me for 250 all in.

The 300 tdi is a good work horse and much more refined, quiter, leather seats, leccy windows, cup holders and all that jazz, but if you want to get them to pull as well as the 200 then you need to de cat it and blank off the egr valve both jobs can be done for about 20 quid each if u do it yourself or take it to a garage and they will do both for under £100.:thumbup1: same as the 200watch out for rot on the early ones in the same places.

The Td5 is great when its going but is a case of service service service! or they will go on you and they are not as easy to fix with all the electrics its a case of a diagnostics machine to find some faults/gremlins, but admitidley i have never owned one so its all from others i know that have them.

hope tha helps