does this happen often?

DrewB

been working on a building site the last few days in the CBD (not as a builder by the way). the new building had its plans totally redesigned due to works being within the dripline of 3 plane trees and is now horsehoe shaped for the first 5 floors to allow for canopy spread. no damage whatsoever was allowed to the trees and the council put a $80 000 bond on them. our job (2 climbers) was to tie branches so that machinery could work in the crown without damaging the branches (ive never carried so many pulleys and carabiners, spare rope, etc...) we were allowed to do no pruning to allow for machinery access. on site during all works was a monitoring arborist who could shut work down at any time if trees were getting damaged. the cool thing was that all the contractors were pleased to work around the trees instead of breaking them (hourly rate though so cant blame em).

and then at the end the transporter turned up to take a digger away and the digger fell off and nearly wiped a tree out!!!!!!!!!!! would of been an expensive mistake......................

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, must be a very good tree officer to get that past the developers!

Not like here in sunny Lancashire where the developers usually gets his way after a lot of bickering and money spent.

Depends on the consultant that is specing the job i guess.

Nice job for you too, makes a change doing a different job with some thought gone in to it to see a good outcome.

Got any piccies of the tree when it was tied back, it's something i could use to show students what could be done instead of boshing. (i have lots of boshing pictures so don't need them!!!)

I have a mate working in Dorkland at the mo, will pm you as i gave him your details about a year ago for possible work but not sure if he contacted you.

We work at teh Royal Bank of Scotland HQ and they had some impressive fences round teh trees while construction was taking place. they were about 20ft tall, you had to apply for a key after you had the permit to work on teh tree.

Very fancy, very expensive but its RBS

Jamie

Never come across that one before Drew, but it is very encouraging to hear. :thumbup1:

How long were/are the branches to be tied back?

the branches were only being held back for an hour or so whilst the pile driver was putting 12 m holes in and then filling with concrete. then jump over and try and make another gap in the crown for the next one.and so on. was good fun and really wished id taken camera.ah well next time...

the branches were only being held back for an hour or so whilst the pile driver was putting 12 m holes in and then filling with concrete. then jump over and try and make another gap in the crown for the next one.and so on. was good fun and really wished id taken camera.ah well next time...

Thanks for the reply Drew.

Does sound fun, did you need to crank them back with a winch or just by hand/rope?

I was lucky to be involved in a project like that a few months back, I was the site Arborist, its a weird thing being paid by a developer, yet in theory working for the council and of course the trees :sneaky2:

I spent most of my time saying no...:001_tt1:

Thanks for the reply Drew.

Does sound fun, did you need to crank them back with a winch or just by hand/rope?

jst used ropes and pulleys to crank the bigger branches back and bits of string for the twiggy bits.had to go back today actually to move another branch for them