Grants for woodland management

I've just been given the job of managing an old couples woodland for them in return for me getting the firewood and any usable timber. About 20 acres in total, 10 acres of woodland planted about 10 years ago, mostly ash and hazel, and another 10 acres of neglected mixed coppice, can't have had anyone in there for about 40 years.

Would there be any grants or help of any sort available for this sort of small area?

FC's woodland improvement grant, and probably first apply for the woodland management plan grant, so you can spec up the work that wants doing, and then apply for funds to help sort it out,

although it looks like FC's budget is going to be cut by 25% next year so best be quick in the new year

Grants are meant to 'oil the wheels' and encourage certain developments. My experience is that they'll cover some of the costs but you'll never make a profit out of them. For instance; I got a grant of around £5,000 for planting a new wood of 4.6 hectares -- but by the time I'd put up a deer fence (essential round here) and planted the trees with shelters, the costs totalled £10,000. The grant now pays about £230/year for the area. So grants are useful -- but don't ever think you'll make a profit out of the grant alone.

so it probably is not worth the paperwork?

i thought there were grants for fencing aswell?

Oh, I'd say it's well worth it -- and if you're doing all the work yourself you will probably find it will cover all your costs -- just not the labour. Bear in mind though that there are conditions they apply that you might think are restrictive -- depending what your long term aims are.

You'll find more here Forestry Commission - Woodland Grant Scheme

can you tell how the grant system works??

is it just for new planting?

and can you generate a personal income from it?

if so what would be the ideal size of land?

The FC does many grants under the WGS (woodland grant scheme)

Woodland planning grant WPG

Woodland assessment grant WAG

Woodland improvement grant WIG

Woodland management grant WMG

Woodland creation grant WCG

Woodland regeneration grant WRG.

All offer various amount of money for different things. Obviously the more wood you own the bigger the amount of money you get. Also depenant on the area you live in depends on any extra funding you can get. I live in a deer population target area so i can claim extra money for deer management under WIG. Think its around £6-8 ha now.

The woodland i wanted to by was about 35 acres but someone with more money got it. I could have claimed under WIG WAG WMG and WRG. But it would have worked out at a few hundred quid a year.

Is it worth it? If your doing it then you can get some money back for what your doing and since its in a grant scheme the felling licences come all sorted out for you.