Woodburning stoves are the future!

WFWales

Castration for wasters - Yes.

I agree that the price of wood is expensive, thanks to being a builder and saving all the off cuts we use and the truck loads that I scrounge off of Mick i rarely have to buy any wood, otherwise I don't think I could afford to run my stove!

99% of who we fit stoves for are minted and the cost of wood is not such a big factor.

They pay for the novelty aspect of having a stove.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more minted they are the tighter they are thats how they got that way. i often come across people in the forest STEALING wood and loading their £80,000 range Rover while cutting of their leg with some old chainsaw they bought at a car boot. Its the hunter gather instinct coming out :BoomSmilie_anim:

Having, and providing wood for, a stove is something i really enjoy, but if you want it cheap then theres graft involved.I`m just small time.For us, my parents and my brother, but it never ceases to amaze me how idle people can be. They deserve to pay.

Workmates know i cut wood, and the arrangement is:help me out on my side jobs labouring;have some logs.Or any windblown or contacts they may have, i`ll do the cutting, they labour, split the wood.

Works fine and everyones happy.There are however,those who just ask`Any spare logs mate?`Spare logs?is there such a thing.No offer of a bit of help, just `can you leave me out a pile and i`ll pick them up sometime`.

`What about helping me out for a couple of hours?`

`Nah, too busy at the moment.Tell you what, i`ll pick up some wood at the forest(FC) when i walk the dogs`. As though wood is free and for the taking.

Trouble is, lots of folks see wood as a waste product, dont see the work that is behind it, and think they are doing you a favour burning it.Then moan about the cost of heating when the answer is right there.

Even with my free supply of logs from my business it would prove better for me to sell the logs. If I burn 1 load per month for 5 months = 5 x £80 = £400.00 in potential sales with no return for the hard work and time spent processing them for my own use. £400 is a lot of electricity. . .

I have a log burner and it took me a time to understand that I could lay my hands on a lot of wood if I had a chainsaw, I now get it from family, friends, local farms, freecycle and off the side of the road.

I am now buying and fixing chainsaws that adds a bit to my income and all the wood is free.

This green living is great, I have a few years of firewood in the back garden seasoning nicely - Mr Middleclass man in my case, likes getting his hands dirty!!

Spud

Out of interest what's the going rate for seasoned hardwood such as ash, sycamore and beech? I'm selling it at £45 for a dumpy bag delivered within 20 miles. Too steep?

Too steep!!! Too CHEAP MORE LIKE!!!

Blimey! I'd buy everything you've got!!!

Seriously though, is that a 1m3 bag? If so, that is WAY TOO CHEAP for dry hardwood!!! And delivery within 20???

I'd say £65 for that and delivery upto 10 miles and £1 per mile thereafter...

Too steep!!! Too CHEAP MORE LIKE!!!

Blimey! I'd buy everything you've got!!!

Seriously though, is that a 1m3 bag? If so, that is WAY TOO CHEAP for dry hardwood!!! And delivery within 20???

I'd say £65 for that and delivery upto 10 miles and £1 per mile thereafter...

Yeah it's a 1m3 bag, also selling netted logs for £3 a bag, but people seem to be happier getting wet softwood from the local B&Q or tescos filling station round here... :thumbdown: