I like the camera idea... I was thinking maybe the trail cameras you can buy for observing deer etc.

I would need a camera that could produce images of reasonable quality for recognition and identification by police as well as any vehicle registration numbers.

Another slant on this idea was to mount a big CCTV camera at the access gates with a sign saying 'smile, you're on CCTV' but have it mounted on the gate strainer facing right at the vehicle

I think that if you put a camera up for CCTV purposes you have to put a sign up saying you are being watched. Not sure how it would work if you said it was just for 'wildlife'. Suppose people could argue about it pointing into a turnaround or the likes as opposed to being somewhere in the wood for 'wildlife' away from roads etc.

Luckily never happened to me as far as I'm aware, unless people have taken a small amount of wood. Known plenty of people who have has the odd wagon load go missing. :thumbdown: Theiving scumbags! Would love to get my hands on someone pinching off me!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a small digital video motion detector camera of ebay for about £35, not waterproof but would be easy to make a box to mount/disguise it in

Were the thefts down by you in the aviemore/speyside area?

Yep - Carrbridge, Aviemore, Grantown-On-Spey and also had some go missing near Forres.

Another contractor has had a fair bit go missing in Aviemore and Carrbridge also.

I can understand somebody taking a boot load or even a small trialer load, but how the hell can somebody have the brass neck to nick 6 ton!!

We loose timber all over the place but it's starting to really take the p**s now!

how long is the stuff left for? which iklnow must vary from site to site etc - but couldnt you find some sprog to pay £50 to sit up and guard it? or....booby trap some of the logs! nothing too nasty like - paint bomb or similar, or..... what about chaining it down? burry a couple of blocks either side with a chain running over - it wont stop the determined but will disencourage the opportunists -

i can only speak from the arb side of things - there has been times when it has worked out to deliberatly leave neat stacks in view for a few days, and then we wouldnt have to spend ages loading stuff up as we didnt have much room for a storage so we'd only take quality wood. I had a bloke pull up to me when we were on an emergancy call out tree falling out on a bend, i was on stop go boards he blocked my site of the other guy, he wanted some logs i told him to go forth and fornicate with as much haste as possible and hes well come to come sniff around after we have finished working. - we had a good theft on the rails last winter in Skane (south sweden) 2km of copper wiring ripped down from above the rails and vanished along with all the forwarder batteries and and harvester head, to my knowledge nothing was ever found!

how long is the stuff left for? which iklnow must vary from site to site etc - but couldnt you find some sprog to pay £50 to sit up and guard it? or....booby trap some of the logs! nothing too nasty like - paint bomb or similar, or..... what about chaining it down? burry a couple of blocks either side with a chain running over - it wont stop the determined but will disencourage the opportunists -

i can only speak from the arb side of things - there has been times when it has worked out to deliberatly leave neat stacks in view for a few days, and then we wouldnt have to spend ages loading stuff up as we didnt have much room for a storage so we'd only take quality wood. I had a bloke pull up to me when we were on an emergancy call out tree falling out on a bend, i was on stop go boards he blocked my site of the other guy, he wanted some logs i told him to go forth and fornicate with as much haste as possible and hes well come to come sniff around after we have finished working. - we had a good theft on the rails last winter in Skane (south sweden) 2km of copper wiring ripped down from above the rails and vanished along with all the forwarder batteries and and harvester head, to my knowledge nothing was ever found!

The chain idea is not bad..... might be a bit of a pain though as often we have several stacks of timber..

Another idea I had was to run out lengths of rylock fence netting which with the snow on top would be concealed and maybe blunt the thieves saw?

Paint bomb is another good one, not sure I could legally get away with it though.

Paying somebody to stay guarding timber is out of the question... just not enough profit margin to allow it

This is becoming a serious problem for us. Anything left anywhere near accessible will result in overnight theft - guaranteed.

It makes me sick to the core. It is theft from me but nobody in a position of authority gives a dam.

We get people stopping and begging for the wood. We get people turn up with their wheelbarrows and start loading without asking. Nothing can be left by the roadside overnight - it will be gone by the morning.

There is no answer other than to watch the wood or work.late to clear it up.

if its being nicke in lengths then i had a thought on the chain idea - it would require fecking long chains - but, instead of what i originaly thought of which was ancoring the chains in the groun or to trees, lay the chains flat with excess either side, then once the stack is done you can pull the chains over an lock em up. how about sticking a sign on your log stacks saying these logs are private property and to remove them with out permision is theft #(this is more for the situations where people come loading up when your on site - this will put off a few people, and then if you catch some one nicking your logs, grab em and call the cops, it may be a hassle but it will stop people nicking your logs - your getting paid to remove them they arer your property - and when the old boy with the wheel barrow starts kicking off just ask him - would you walk onto a building site and nick a pile of bricks? i'm just thinking about how to stop cheeky beggars comming into ur woods and cutting up your timber - big dog??? tyre spikes? cover the stack in a blanket made of your old chainsaw trousers?