vertical trailered log splitter

33bk

finally getting round to making my log splitter going to make a vertical trailered log splitter . just wondering when the ram comes down on the log does this affect the suspension on the trailer ?

do people put legs on the bottom of the table ?

many thanks :>

33bk

the weight is the weight, you are adding pressure to the log, i reckon the forces will go up the way rather than compress your suspension, i am no engineer though. If you were in a shed and the top of the ram was tight against the roof then it would be a diferent storey. It is something i have never even thought about before, will be interested in the exact answer

The ram movement isn't going to affect the suspension, but if the log went with a bang then it might rock the trailer slightly. Also if you lift up a big ring and drop it down onto the table the trailer would obivously rock about. The amount of movement would depend on the type and age of suspension.

Personally I would fit 2 wind down legs to the rear corners of the trailer chassis so it was rock hard, espicialy if it's unbraked

As the ram is operated it pushes against the log which in turn pushes against the platform (table) that the log sits on, which is all part of the log splitter. So the log splitter is pushing against itself and no forces are put into the trailer.

However if the trailer is light it might wobble around a bit as you take logs on and off. I'd do what others have suggested and, for safety, have a couple of adjustable legs to make the trailer rigid with the ground.

I'd suggest bolting or welding on a couple of these: Parts

The yellow bits are the splitter and the grey bits are the trailer. The splitter is effectively a stand alone unit and is only bolted to the trailer

The trailer suspension moves a little if you hoss a big ring on it but not so as you would notice

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachments/large-equipment/49472d1286825320-got-myself-log-splitter-last-splitter-059.jpg

Andy

Edited by treequip
tags

yes that the one i would be trying to recreate ! apart from mine would have it own power pack running it . do u have a legs to stableise the tailer ?

any more pick of vertical trailer log splitter please post them :>

ta 33 bk

i prefer the foot plate to sit on the ground so you can get big rings on, it all depends on the size of logs that you're splitting(the splitter beam has to fold horizontally to transport it which also makes it more stable whilst towing)

a few pics of one of mine

IMG_0862.JPG.4887f69aa13118b034ea43cb5e76129c.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG.581411156f85b48d7a11e976359a8a7d.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG.54da752d71184c39dd15b8bc8d729cf8.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG.d1a40576972197b7b8241f11eff21737.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG.32d6291c606ee4dfb68d840c0bbe6bf6.JPG