Anyone else have Bonkers/Desperate Clients?

windfall

Following the recent contamination of all my seasoned stuff, I finally resorted to selling green Ash today:sneaky2:

The phone has gone none stop for days, and Ive been saying "sorry, no seasones available, but I have fresh processed ash" and the reply from every one has been "it will be fine"!

Had a mad day today and made working this week worth while. Earned enough today to call it xmas. Im not worried, they all know what they bought!

But then again, I arent worried about selling next years stock, I have loads left!:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Windfall,

I assume you're a domestic tree worker selling your arb waste, not one of the lads with the golden ticket government contracts?

You mention that you had brought some cord wood, just wondered where from? I priced a 20 tonne load of softwood from St Johns last winter and came to the conclusion that I could buy at the roadside in the U.K. and ship it to IOM for less. But more importantly that the price I was quoted was going to make it very difficult to make a profit, especially at £55 to 75 a cube. There are some other small outlets for cord but as you know the gov and their blood suckers have the lions share.

Incidentally I think you are pricing yourself too cheap, there is a rapidly expanding market over here and as you know a very limited supply of trees. I have purchased bits and bobs of hardwood locally but it is very few and far between. I really wouldn’t worry about people who can buy a cube of oak for £65 from a mate of a mate. That is totally unsustainable on the IOM, we just don’t have the stocks. I’m charging a lot more than that now, no shortage of customers and its only going to keep rising as decent reliable supplies run out. The number of stoves fitted means arb waste just isn’t going to keep up. As you know there are plenty of big fish in this little pond, and from what I've heard they're going to be trying to strangle the market since we shook thinks up recently, but as I don't know your name I won't say any more for now. Keep you're overheads low, concentrate on your quality and service and you have nothing to worry about - I'll see you in the field of battle competitor!:001_tt2:

Are you based in the south? Pics on the tractor thread look familiar.

All the best,

Scamp.

Hi Scamp,

Superb a local boy!

Yes fella, processing Arb waste from myself and a few other local guys not touching the gov supplied cord anymore as its over priced rubbish. Made kindling out of most of mine, oh and sold it to clients who seemed to want stuff the same as you buy from the garage! :001_rolleyes:

Only been selling softwood cheap for the last two months because the wood was not seasoned properly, i had 30 tonnes of it and i needed to raise some quick cash to fund the start up of the business.

All the logs i am making now and have seasoning will be sold (and are being sold) at the same price as my competitors. I am not wanting to start a price war, I have a lot of contacts already who will pay market rate. Also installing quite a few Stoves so get lots of loyal clients that way.

I am based in Baldrine. Tractor was used on Douglas beach clearing seaweed, the sand has got everywhere! Its taken a lot of work to stop the progress of rust and remake the bits that had dissolved in the salt / nuclear fall out .... getting there though.

So how about we get down to some price fixing?... :laugh1:

Been thinking about offering a price list / menu as i have all sorts of different woods seasoning. Each has a different property/characteristic.. a lot of my clients do seem to appreciate the details.. but some seem to just want a cube of anything for £50! how about you? With regards to prices i am thinking: £95 for hardwood mix £85 for a softwood mix or £90 for a mix of hard and softwoods. Some guys seem to be £120 a cube though but i dont think i have the balls to ask for that......:blushing:

Also id be up for going halfs on bringing over good quality cord from the main land... perhaps with twice with backing we could make it more profitable for us?

Tom

PS. Anyone who thinks they can strangle the market on the Isle of Man needs to pull their head out of their bottom and take a look around.

PM me your number or email if you want to discuss anything i have mentioned.

I also reckon I'm too fussy about the wood I deliver. I generally sell wood seasoned up between 6 months to a year, depending on species (obviously not oak). Most of it is ash which I have a great supply of. Even though it burns green, I still can't bring myself to sell it when you see green chainsaw scars when processing it. Having said that, I have found myself surprised with some after sales of logs when I have struggled to keep it dry in snow and rain. I'm not the cheapest around but believe hat people will always pay for quality.

I knew I recognised the tractor.

Yes, price fixing, great idea, you set your price, then I'll under cut you by 2p, thats price fixing Manx Style!

I'm sure you probably meet as many round here as I do who sound a bit muffled when they talk, like maybe their head is stuck somewhere :lol:

I've got a 40ft load of building oak arriving this week with some firewood thrown on to fill the box. I'll email you later about maybe splitting a full load of cord. I think the biggest problem now would be finding it in the UK and getting it on a lancashire flat, cause you really don't want to be paying to put a arb artic on the boat! £:scared1:£ Maybe we can work something out.

With regards to pricing its not about balls fella, its about the realities of the market. We live on a very beautiful Island, but there ain't that many trees (that don't belong to the Gov). I sell a product that is dry and guaranteed to go like a rocket every time, and it costs what it costs. The only way to get cheap logs is to do it yourself, then people realise what they're paying for - a whole heap of hard work.

I've actually had people ask me for cheaper wet logs, but you can't drive a nail into custard so I don't worry about them, my customers know that what they get from me is the best. I've also had customers try my stuff, rave about it, complain about the cost, then come back later after they've gone back to the wet logs and admit that it is worth the cost. :laugh1:

I don't take any pay from the logs, just use the profit to buy more stock and toys for the businesses so I'm busy enough to keep me happy. Where did you buy your splitter local?

Slane lhiat!

Scamp.

I didn't know Jimmy had splitters in, I'll have to go for a skeet next time I'm in the Sunset City.

The problem with sending an arb trailer is you have to pay for it both ways. I own a little bit of woodland in the UK and I have a plan for the best way to organise a load, but we can discuss that in person some time if you really do fancy splitting a load. I charge £150 for imported kiln dried hardwood, and £100 to £120 for a load of seasoned local ash, beech, oak, syc, etc. All including VAT, Delivery and Stacking as required. No shortage of customers so far. I also do barrow bags. If I get my kiln built in the summer I'll be increasing price for mine next winter.

Fantastic afternoon in the rain humping oak beams by hand thanks to a certain freight company once again totally cocking it up despite the most clear and simple instructions. Thats the end of my business with them...

All the best.

Scampo.